1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
This is a wonderful and profound book. I was given a copy in the 70's by a great jazz bassist who took it very seriously. I find interesting Hazrat Khans contention that the spiritual and mystic aspects of sound can be contained in recordings. I've discussed this subject with some other deeply spiritual musicians and Shabd yogi's who all agreed with this. There is no question that studying this book can and does benefit all musicians. Thanks Tim for presenting this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Musicians, I've noticed, tend to be drawn to spirituality that speaks authoritatively. I think it comes from our traditional ethos, which is master/apprentice, top down, like many spiritual paths.

What I don't notice is a corresponding tradition of players with questioning minds. They're there of course (I'm one), but they go alone, and probably don't discuss these things much, or at all.

I suppose questioning is, in some ways, disruptive of the dedication needed to be excellent in music. You need to open your soul and respond with all of yourself to something outside - sometimes it's transcendent, like inspiration or swing - sometimes it's ritual, like the practice of patterns and scales.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Musicians, I've noticed, tend to be drawn to spirituality that speaks authoritatively. I think it comes from our traditional ethos, which is master/apprentice, top down, like many spiritual paths.

What I don't notice is a corresponding tradition of players with questioning minds. They're there of course (I'm one), but they go alone, and probably don't discuss these things much, or at all.

I suppose questioning is, in some ways, disruptive of the dedication needed to be excellent in music. You need to open your soul and respond with all of yourself to something outside - sometimes it's transcendent, like inspiration or swing - sometimes it's ritual, like the practice of patterns and scales.
I LIKE WHAT YOU SAID PAUL.....And the way you said it.

Very well put- and clear as a bell. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts