Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I misposted this incorrectly in a less-inhabited subforum a few weeks ago, to no avail.

So I looked through the directory and found I should have posted here according to the original sticky, and so am doing so now. Hopefully resulting in the correct answer.

QUESTION: what make of sax did this neck come from?

the major i.d. points would be the v-shaped bird's-tail-like shape on the octave key between the wishbone, and the groove in the middle of the tenon skirt, as well as the rounded key posts on separate round plates, and length/design of underside brace.

PROVENANCE: I obtained this with a '40s pro horn.......this is NOT its original neck. The owner used this neck since it had the pickup receiver installed.

There is a chance that this neck was in fact an aftermarket electric neck that was only sold separately back in late '60s to early '70s..............but that's one reason I'm asking if anyone has seen a neck with the above identifying features (with or without the pickup receiver).

It would seem with the huge global readership here that someone has one like it with the horn it originally came with, now that the inquiry is posted in what I now hope to be the correct place.

the identifying points listed above and shown in photos would make it pretty clear when/if a match is found.

OR..........if you know for a fact that this was an aftermarket neck sold separately, that would be interesting as well. I bought one of a different type for alto decades ago, tho that had the integral dome-shaped pickup built-in.

Thank you very much for any real leads, and for checking out the photos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,350 Posts
whatever it was it doesn’t seem to look like anything of any great quality. This has to be a ’70 made horn.

I can see some faint lettering on the front of the octave key, try with some thin paper on it and rub it with soft graphite. Probably you can get a text.

Whatever it is it’s “ value” is greatly reduced by the pick up mike hole so frankly speaking, I wouldn’t put any great energy into this.

·
40,350 Posts
which was a Buescher, they wouldn’t make a part with a V only for Vega, too expensive, defeats the point of stenciling ( which is providing a cheaper horn than the original).

If the V is all we have then why not V for Visitor or V for vendetta?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,900 Posts
Whatever it is it’s “ value” is greatly reduced by the pick up mike hole so frankly speaking, I wouldn’t put any great energy into this.
Unless of course you also have the pickup itself. Worth more (in combination with the adaptor) than that neck methinks.

·
40,350 Posts
for an unknown horn? Tough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whatever it was it doesn’t seem to look like anything of any great quality. This has to be a ’70 made horn.
I am looking for facts, please, not the opinions your signature states.
If you have facts to support this opinion, I'd like to know the specifics. It seems to me to be of as high quality in a photo as Buffet SDA neck pictured here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-1972...123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf11f4ceb

and certainly as good or better than many of the vintage horn necks I browsed thru trying to determine manufacturer of this before posting on sotw. Which often have flimsy wire octave keys and wire braces.
So I have no idea on what basis one can determine from a photo what you determined........pls lmk specifically how you determined this just by glancing at a photo.
It's a strong and well-made neck. However, I won't know about any putative "quality" until it's positively identified, which was the purpose of this thread.
I don't know at this point..
I'm seeking facts, not personal opinion/universal truths.
Why does the SDA neck's skirt, brace, guides, key, or metal look to be any better quality than on mine?

Hopefully someone with facts will eventually be able to assist in the quest, for which I'll be grateful.
Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you so very much, cymru97.
on this thread's very first day an unequivocal factual determination of maker, with reference to a whole website for supporting info.
Your response and helpfulness (as well, of course, as Helen's) have made my day, and I appreciate it.

·
40,350 Posts
I am for sure one of the people who has contributed the most on this forum on identifying horns of parts of them for members in many discussions.

When I told you my opinion ( which turned out to be correct about this being a ’70 horn) I was merely stating a fact. Also I was trying to put some proportion to your search as this not being a particularly noteworthy piece of equipment.

Anyway, glad you have your answer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,135 Posts
I am for sure one of the people who has contributed the most on this forum on identifying horns of parts of them for members in many discussions.
Very true, and quite reliable I might add. Your comments and the curve of the neck made me think Italian stencil. Helen's photos and research offered the proof.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
Milandro is one of the experts here and his "opinions" are always welcome. When trying to identify an unusual part, it often involves a lot of guesswork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,498 Posts
Yup, the swoop of the neck is Orsi. It has a strange swoop, an unusual taper toward the mouthpiece end (or lack thereof) and a very robust neck key.

These necks blow with a fair amount of resistance for a vintage neck. Could be from the 60's-70's. Unfortunately, not worth very much because a) Orsi horns are not in demand (but they aren't bad, either) and b) it has the pickup port in it, which folks usually don't want.

Maybe worth $50...a usable enough neck on a vintage horn without a neck, but again it will blow with more resistance than your typical vintage neck, therefore isn't a particularly preferred replacement option.

thank you so very much, cymru97.
on this thread's very first day an unequivocal factual determination of maker, with reference to a whole website for supporting info.
Your response and helpfulness (as well, of course, as Helen's) have made my day, and I appreciate it.
Yes, this comment and the previous one exhibit an attitude which is a bit much, really. I might suggest that next time you log in here, you breathe deeply now and again.

You asked people to come up with ideas on an unidentified vintage neck. As such, folks often give their best guesses based upon experience.

Milandro is one of the experts here and his "opinions" are always welcome. When trying to identify an unusual part, it often involves a lot of guesswork.
Yup. And in the end, Milandro may not have guessed the maker, he was dead on that the value and desirability of this neck is rather low.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
And the best part is that someone decided to amplify a really crappy horn by drilling a hole in the neck. Id like to hear the story (but not the sax please) behind that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts