Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,952 Posts
I am assuming you are talking different mouthpieces for different styles of music ?

As Harri suggested, do some searches regarding "classical mouthpieces" or "jazz mouthpieces"...etc.

Yes, certain mouthpiece specifications tend to be appropriate for certain kinds of music...but nobody can offer you any suggestions until we know how long you have been playing, your budget, what kinda horn, and what your goals are.

Keep us posted. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For Jazz/Blues?
Classical?
Others?
Pat,
your questions are very general in nature. I doubt that anyone can answer them, I cant.
Please read some of the forums here, and you might come up with more specific questions.
Welcome on board,
I assume you mean, because you don't know what Item I was asking for. I just implied that it was a mouthpieces in this forum.

I am assuming you are talking different mouthpieces for different styles of music ?

As Harri suggested, do some searches regarding "classical mouthpieces" or "jazz mouthpieces"...etc.

Yes, certain mouthpiece specifications tend to be appropriate for certain kinds of music...but nobody can offer you any suggestions until we know how long you have been playing, your budget, what kinda horn, and what your goals are.

Keep us posted. ;)
Yes, I have been playing for 3 years now, and I plan to play for at least through high school... I think I am leaning towards music major, too so that would add 4+years. Budget isn't really a problem, but under $200 would be good. Right now I have a Jupiter beginner alto sax, but I plan on switching to a Inter Yamaha YAS-62II or Pro Yamaha YAS-875EX.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
Meyer 6M or Meyer-type mpc for jazz alto
Link STM 7* or similar for jazz tenor

Rousseau NC4, Vandoren or Selmer S80 C* for classical alto
Link Tone Edge 5 for wind ensemble tenor

Any sax will do. :roll:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
For Jazz/Blues?
Classical?
Others?
Pat,
your questions are very general in nature. I doubt that anyone can answer them, I cant.
Please read some of the forums here, and you might come up with more specific questions.
Welcome on board,
I assume you mean, because you don't know what Item I was asking for. I just implied that it was a mouthpieces in this forum...
Pat...I was in total agreement with Harri's comments...but I also now see why you felt that the root of your question was implied by the particular forum you were posting in..."What to Buy & Why: Mouthpieces"

To reinforce Harri's suggestion however...it's probably good to realize that many if not most of the people who browse the posts here at SOTW...do so from the "New Posts" tab...which shows all of the recent posts in all of the different forums. People will often click on a thread based on the title rather than looking to see which forum it was posted in. If they do that without realizing which forum they stumbled into...then a question worded like yours would definitely seem totally ambiguous.

Even assuming that everyone knows what forum you're posting in...it's always a good idea to be as precise and detailed as you can about your reasons for asking a question. Adding pertinent background information about yourself in your original post instead of tossing it in several posts later is also very helpful and will give responders a better idea of where to start when they're trying to help.

Yes...perhaps it's partially the reader's fault for not always knowing which forum they're clicking into before they click...but that's the way it is.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
...and that answer's why this forum is privileged to have such a silver-tongued, smooth and tactful member,
to say in four paragraphs, what I'd say in four words:

"garbage in, garbage out". :twisted:

(pat - it's teasing others, not you - don't take it personally. ;-))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts