Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to mention that I will be hosting the "Musician's Show" on WKCR-FM, Wednesday, September 28th from 6pm - 9pm (New York time). The Musician's Show has a long tradition at WKCR here in NYC. Every Wednesday evening they invite someone from the community to come on and play music of their choosing and talk a bit about it.

I plan to explore the early tenor saxophone tradition (Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Ike Quebec, Arnett Cobb, Illinois Jacquet, Hershel Evans, Wardell Gray, Paul Gonsalves) perhaps even touching on some of the R&B saxophonists from the 50's (Lee Allen and Red Prysock) who's music pretty much got me started on this path.

I'll also spin one or two recent things of my own so I invite you to listen in over the airwaves or on line. Here's the link: WKCR-FM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Sounds like a great show! Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hey, that's great man!

I used to be such an avid listener to Phil Schaap's Birdflight ever since it begin in 81, I believe, which was/is around 8:30 am.
I don't live in NYC anymore so I haven't listened to WKCR for quite some time. Schapp, the consummate Bird fan. Full of information!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I am on it and thanks for the tip. chances are i would have heard it anyway since i am a WKCR listener since 1974

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Ellery -- Fantastic show. Unfortunately i had to miss the last hour which sounds like the most interesting! Thank you for sharing your deep love and knowledge of this great music. I really need to get a copy of Trio New York!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DTE - Thanks for tuning in. Glad you enjoyed it. Yea, January 13th & 14th at the Cornelia Street Cafe, NYC.

Guido - Thanks, you can get copies through my website or from Downtown Music Gallery via mail order.

I'm going to post the playlist on my blog this afternoon. Trying to get the audio from the interview portions posted with it. Editing that now. I'll post back later today once it's all up…

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
There is an extensive article about Phil and his show "Bird Flight" in particular from a few years back in the New Yorker...you can read it on line...LINK.
Aw, that's the article that got me to know this wonderful man with the dutch name. I've been listening to his show ever since.

I'm so sorry I just read this tonight. I would have loved to have heard this. I listen to WKCR whenever I can - which is during working hours, six hours away from NY time - but it has been too damn busy lately.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rennie, I've posted the playlist from the show on my BLOG. There are audio clips of the interview portions of the program. The music is not hard to find. Most of it is available in iTunes.

By the way, I see you are in Amsterdam. I am coming to the Netherlands next week for some concerts. You can see the schedule on my website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts