Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I went to New Orleans this Friday to play banjo with my trumpet player friend. We have a good repertoire of all the clichés and we sing all the choruses, usually in harmony. It was quite an adventure. One of the places I took my friend was the National Park building in the French Quarter. They were giving a concert/demonstration there at the time and we were invited up to play with the tuba/piano duo up on the stage. The tuba player was dressed in full park uniform with a badge and everything. I asked him if he could arrest people for playing the wrong changes; he said yes. What a great job! Imagine walking around the quarter and saying to people, “I’m sorry, you are not playing the melody correctly, please lie on the ground and put your hands behind your head.” I love it. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
OK, I went to New Orleans this Friday to play banjo with my trumpet player friend. We have a good repertoire of all the clichés and we sing all the choruses, usually in harmony. It was quite an adventure. One of the places I took my friend was the National Park building in the French Quarter. They were giving a concert/demonstration there at the time and we were invited up to play with the tuba/piano duo up on the stage. The tuba player was dressed in full park uniform with a badge and everything. I asked him if he could arrest people for playing the wrong changes; he said yes. What a great job! Imagine walking around the quarter and saying to people, “I’m sorry, you are not playing the melody correctly, please lie on the ground and put your hands behind your head.” I love it. :bluewink:
I wondered how you dodged a banjo ticket, but remembered NOLA has both an open container and open carry law. Beer and banjos in clear view..anything goes in the Big Easy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,566 Posts
I remember when I read the critic review of an Album by Anthony Braxton and Misha Mengelberg playing Charlie Parker.

The critic found that hey were not playing the form that HAD to be played.

Which says way more about the musical stupidity of the critic than it did about the musical prowess of the musicians. The notion that that critic ever existed will soon disappear.While the musicians and their art will live on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There are a good number of music police (and gear police and thought police) around here on SOTW – that's for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,597 Posts
There are a good number of music police (and gear police and thought police) around here on SOTW – that's for sure.
... and vigilantes.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If Bird was a gunslinger there’d be a whole lotta dead copy cats. Thank goodness Parker wasn’t a state trooper.

·
33,597 Posts
It's evidently true what they say about speaking of the devil.
Your first response - that you edited away - was much kinder.

Be well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Your first response - that you edited away - was much kinder.

Be well.
Well, it was precisely as kind as your "vigilante" comment.

It's as they say, George: "A shout mouth catches no flies."

When one gives, one should also be prepared to take.

Be well too.

·
33,597 Posts
Well, it was precisely as kind as your "vigilante" comment.

It's as they say, George: "A shout mouth catches no flies."

When one gives, one should also be prepared to take.

Be well too.
Whoa, where did I fire upon you in this thread? Seriously. Do you have some baggage that you feel compelled to air here?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Two can play this game: where have I fired on you? Do you have some misguided angst which you feel is best expressed here?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts