Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shelf Shelving Wood Automotive design Rectangle

Hi All,

A cool small bamboo makeup organizer to hold the daily/weekly mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures and other stuff drying in a handy place between sessions. This one has a drawer to store spare patches, reeds, cork grease, whatever.
Bought at a cheap decoration store called Maxi Bazar, you can probably find similar stuff in your country or on the web.
I have cardboard shoe boxes full of horns related stuff, the tens of mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures, straps, etc… we all have. But I always left the pieces currently played lying around. Voilà.

·
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great idea! Did you line the bottom with anything to absorb excess moisture, or is that no biggee?
Not yet, found it today. I’m thinking about it, maybe simply some absorbing kitchen paper. Open to smart ideas !

·
Registered
Purple Logo YAS-62; Martin Searchlight
2 Posts
Something like that would make sense. Easily discarded from time to time, and not something that might hold moisture against the bamboo, like felt. I really love your idea here, and am going to start hunting for a similar unit.

·
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try with office paper, maybe heavy weight. This will allow to print the shapes of each box, making it easy to cut them out with scissors.

·
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I tend to use one specific mouthpiece for each horn type, but you're right, this already sounds like an outrageous snobbism... My Mom keeps saying "we didn't have all that during the war...."

I was just reading the other day from Phil Woods himself that he did some tenor gigs using his alto mouthpiece in his young years. Definitely a smart guy.

• Love
Reactions: AddictedToSax

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,651 Posts
If you need a rack for your mouthpieces... you have too many of them.
If you have more than 28k posts to SOTW maybe you should consider playing your sax more instead of writing about it.

Reactions: Stretch

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
689 Posts
If you need a rack for your mouthpieces... you have too many of them.
Wot?! You trying to start a recession, man? Cover your eyes, 10MFan! Don't look!

Mouthpieces for every room and mood, I say. Soft ones for when your loved ones are trying to sleep. Bright paint peelers for when you're outside.

• Haha
Reactions: dexdex

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,891 Posts
Wot?! You trying to start a recession, man? Cover your eyes, 10MFan! Don't look!

Mouthpieces for every room and mood, I say. Soft ones for when your loved ones are trying to sleep. Bright paint peelers for when you're outside.
It's a two-edged sword: buy too few mouthpieces and you get a recession, buy too many and you get runaway inflation!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a similar small wooden desktop drawer unit that I keep ligs, mpcs, caps in. I lined the drawer with a sham wow cloth so the mpcs don’t slide around. If a particular mpc seems to not be working for me, my tech jokes it just needs some “drawer time” to scare some sense back into it …😀

·
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
On weekends, more time, played some sop, alto and tenor today. The horns have their stands, mouthpieces too. I can leave it there until later or tomorrow.
Shelf Shelving Wood Office supplies Eyewear
Musical instrument Gold Saxophone Dress Wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts