Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks for doing this. I like how they are all on one page so it is easy to click back and forth between videos to compare the tone. You sound great regardless, you clearly are an excellent player. For tenor, I liked the Drake NYJM7 the best followed by the Theo Wanne Ambika. Both were really rich and thick with lots of overtones. For me the Drake stood out a little more and seemed rich throughout the registers. I did not like the Absolute as much, it just seemed much narrower with much less depth and richness to the sound than the others. Keep making these videos!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Thanks for doing this. I like how they are all on one page so it is easy to click back and forth between videos to compare the tone. You sound great regardless, you clearly are an excellent player. Keep making these videos!
I agree with that...

For me the STM is doing it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments!
The Ambika and the Otto Link are maybe the 2 moutpieces that I have played more over the years, and with I fell more comfortable with.
I have been playing hard rubber moutpieces exclusively on every sax since the last 5 years.
Maybe it is more a psychological factor.
If you want to change your sound you most change the sound concept in your head, not only the set up.
The set up however can make a difference in comfort and flexibility, so it can be important.
With some mouthpiece I have the sensation that the air goes more fluidly into the horn.
Then matching the right reed with the right strenght is crucial…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts