Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
Good Lord, it looks like it spent most of its life laying in the desert somewhere!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Some of those keys and pivot rods look like they may have been chrome played at one time. Weird.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I think someone got caught up in the strip the horn so it will sound better nonsense and/or that nickle plated keys mean "Student horn".

People do weird stuff.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Wow. That thing is beat. And a really early Mark VII. I owned a VI that was only +/- 750 serial numbers lower than that and have actually seen VI's with higher serial numbers than that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Never seen a two-tone Mk VII...could it have been a silver one? Would/could someone strip all the plating off the body, but only partially off the keys? That makes no sense...

It is very early. My VII is 242XXX, and it's an early one.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
The grammatical errors in the listing are fishy too.
It was a silver plated sax at some point. The pearls look like they’ve been worn down to the metal.
Somebody played the crap out of that sax.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Weird listing. On iPhone version if you open the listing for more info it is claimed to be a tenor from 1955. And it says lacquer finish. It’s like he reused a description from a different horn and didn’t edit carefully.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This saxophone was originally built with a lacquered body and silver-plated keys. It was part of a pre-production run of about 150 Mark VIIs.
The serial number would normally indicate a 1974 production date, but this instrument, like all the others in this run, were sold in 1975.
Roughly 25 examples from this production run had a lacquered body and silver-plated keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
For some reason, many of the Mark VII altos on ebay recently have been trashed.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
The grammatical errors in the listing are fishy too.
The grammar and spelling is so bad that I would have thought English is not the first language for this seller, but their profile says 'based in the US,' so who knows?

But even worse, the buy it now price is way out of line. Probably that horn could be put into decent condition, but the price to do so would be so high (or so much work for anyone capable of doing it) it wouldn't be worth buying for more than a couple hundred dollars, if that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts