Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my 47 Martin set up, all leaks fixed,neck tightened, by a respected Tech,Chris Startup at Wind Works here in Vancouver BC . It still warbles on A,G and low B. I am of course going to give Chris a call but thought I would ask here.How can you spot a leaking tone hole on Martins?

I am going to add more tension on the D palm key as I have no idea of anything else to try, the low B at least plays well with Alto sax MP cap in bow.

Any thoughts ? This is worse with a lager chamber old Bundy MP,not as bad with my Runyon Custom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Martin tone hole leaks can often be difficult to spot - but there's one surefire means of testing them. A drop of cigarette lighter fluid around the outside of the tone hole will seep into the bore if there's even the smallest of gaps.
Ideally you'd need to do this with the horn dismantled, but you should be able to get away with it with the aid of a spotlamp and some careful positioning of the horn.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/Martin_toneholes.htm

It's a harmless test - the cigarette lighter fluid will simply evaporate and won't damage the finish.

Regards,

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
"A drop of cigarette lighter fluid around the outside of the tone hole will seep into the bore if there's even the smallest of gaps."

My joy at reading this tip is just about balanced out by my embarrassment and frustration for not having figured it out myself before. Of course! Arrrggh! Brilliant! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it is fixed and was a leak, my frustration of finding a Tech who does a good job is now my dilemma.I paid out 300 to have the Martin done,75 for my Zep and I ended up fixing them both myself.Next time I will just pay myself !

Not having much experience with getting work done on horns, I guess I should have test played more and asked to see the horn with the leak light in it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Thanks guys, it is fixed and was a leak, my frustration of finding a Tech who does a good job is now my dilemma.I paid out 300 to have the Martin done,75 for my Zep and I ended up fixing them both myself.Next time I will just pay myself !

Not having much experience with getting work done on horns, I guess I should have test played more and asked to see the horn with the leak light in it.
Asking for a leak light is a bit rude IMO, but playing the horn a lot before you take it home is standard. Next time you need some work done, try Sandro Massullo up in Burnaby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts