Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
The PM is great, but there’s nothing like a The Martin Tenor. The Martin’s keywork feels like butter and the action is very slick.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The Martin’s keywork feels like butter and the action is very slick.
Really? I have not owned a Martin but have heard otherwise, and it's what has kept me away. If the key work is better, say, than a vintage Conn's, I would be interested. I was surprised at how well the PM held its own, but for me, the Martin had the better tone. And by the way, thanks for not playing lightning fast passages with a lot of altissimo - much easier to evaluate and hear what's going on

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Really? I have not owned a Martin but have heard otherwise, and it's what has kept me away. If the key work is better, say, than a vintage Conn's, I would be interested. I was surprised at how well the PM held its own, but for me, the Martin had the better tone. And by the way, thanks for not playing lightning fast passages with a lot of altissimo - much easier to evaluate and hear what's going on
My issue with the Martin ergos are the left-hand pinky table and the Eb/C pinky keys. The rest of it is fine. Honestly, it's not something you wouldn't get used to probably.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
As I recall, you played my '54 Committee 3 and flipped for it when you were here for the 10m. I think you may have tried the Handcraft Standard but that's a non starter for your ergos preference. They are heavy tenors and a harness might be a good idea if you get one.

·
4,580 Posts
As I recall, you played my '54 Committee 3 and flipped for it when you were here for the 10m. I think you may have tried the Handcraft Standard but that's a non starter for your ergos preference. They are heavy tenors and a harness might be a good idea if you get one.
Yep they are definitely heavier than my other tenors. People seem to prefer the ergos on the Comm II over the Comm III, from what I've read here. My friend has a Comm II I tried once and I don't remember it being too hard to navigate.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think the Handcraft gave me trouble, but I did indeed flip for the Committee. I'm broke, but have a Yamaha 61 for a backup tenor. Which plays great, bold and big, but brighter than I like. Every time I hear someone playing a Martin I dig it.

·
4,580 Posts
I think the Handcraft gave me trouble, but I did indeed flip for the Committee. I'm broke, but have a Yamaha 61 for a backup tenor. Which plays great, bold and big, but brighter than I like. Every time I hear someone playing a Martin I dig it.
I think you know what to do ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
I sold my P Mauriet when I bought my first The Martin Tenor. Great horns. all have very fast action (at least the 4 I owned did)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like the way you sound on both, but I like your sound on the Martin better than the PM. Your sound on the Martin has a lot of depth and character, particularly the low end. More interesting and distinctive to my ear.

I owned a Martin Committee 3 for about 10 years and really enjoyed it. I ended up parting with it it in favor of a Conn, for a couple reasons. My pitch at the top end of the Martin could be a little hard to control, which may have been caused by the setup of the horn. In addition, I wasn’t crazy about the LH pinky table on the Martin. Other than that, the ergos on the Martin were good for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Great comparison. My local Jazz’s band’s lead tenor was soloing on a Martin last week. I asked him about it his set up, as the sound was quite unique...It sounded freeblowing, it was loud, it had bite, but it was dark.....After inquiring, I was told that that the dark, full sound quality was from The Martin. This comparison video confirms. Great sound on The Martin. P Mauriat sound is solid, but more ‘common’.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You're one of the richest men I've met in the past 5 years! Cash is a poor measure and you don't have to own every sax that's great...well, maybe I take that back but not the part about richness. That's what makes trading so appealing. Someone out there wants to trade for that Yamaha and somewhere down the line, a Comm is going to come (pun, sure) your way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Really? I have not owned a Martin but have heard otherwise, and it's what has kept me away. If the key work is better, say, than a vintage Conn's, I would be interested. I was surprised at how well the PM held its own, but for me, the Martin had the better tone. on
I had heard the same too, but I tried it for myself and I don’t find the keywork to be an issue. In fact, for me it’s just the opposite. The keywork on a Martin, when properly adjusted, is very fast and “buttery”. I recently traded my bari with a SOTW forum member for a the Martin Tenor and from the moment I played it, I loved the tone and the action.

I think, just like with other things, it’s all about what you were used to before. I was playing a Buescher 156 tenor before.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I found some old recordings this afternoon of a gig that I played on my old Martin. Dang, kind of makes me wish I still had that horn!

·
Registered
107 Posts
+1 minicooper. I've got a 156 and The Martin ... agree with your assessment.

I also prefer the Martin in OP's video. Love the low end on these horns.

·
4,580 Posts

Ok, ok, I'll get the Comm III out this weekend and give it another try. I have a bad right thumb and ergos are a big deal for me.

·
Registered
566 Posts

We’re brothers!

I think all the people complaining about The Martin tenor keywork just want to mess with us so they can have them all to themselves!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I traded my Mauriat alto for a Martin C3, and haven't looked back. Even got some money back. The Martin tenor I played in NYC earlier this year was great too. I'll likely buy one someday.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts