Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Only that it probably is. RMCs have the shield logo in the engraving. Otherwise they're just like any late CIII 'The Martin'. I had one that was 212xxx/1962 plus it was a 'Music Man'. It was a strong player.

See the RMC 'shield above and to the right of 'Martin'.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
The OP sent me a link to the horn, which is not an RMC. He was thinking an RMC would be a deduction but actually it wouldn't - RMC (Roundtable Of Musical Craftsmen) was a group of Martin employees who took over and tried to keep it afloat, but to no avail. The horns were typical of the late CIIIs. After RMC, I think Leblanc owned Martin and the 220xxx was probably made under that ownership. The next development was a Yanagisawa 800 with 'Martin' on it - this was a completely different sax that was made like a Selmer, so the one in question is, I think, one of the last CIIIs to come out of Martin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I have a RMC alto and it is the best of the Comm IIIs that I have had. Sometimes the lacquer on the RMC horns is better too.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have seen a couple of very late Martins (pre Yana) and I remember the engraving was much simplified. I think they had stopped engraving "alto" "tenor" or "baritone" under "The Martin" as well. The construction and design still looked identical but I didn't inspect closely and this was a long time ago.

I had the impression that the last of the real Martins was maybe sometime in the early 70s, thus as much as 10 years after the "RMC" one you showed, but I'm sure someone here knows the accurate dates.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
That may be the French imports from the early 70s after Elkhart was closed down.
Are you saying that someone (I assume LeBlanc) imported some French made saxes (Beaugnier?) stencilled "Martin" in between the last of the true Martins and the stencilled Yanagisawas?

Didn't know that. I am sure that the one or two late Martins I saw with simplified engraving were the real Martin design (which is quite distinctive).

I did have once a Dolnet tenor stencilled "Martin Paris" but I have never heard that it was some kind of replacement for the US Martin. I think instead it may have been intended for a French entity named "Robert Martin".

·
4,580 Posts
Are you saying that someone (I assume LeBlanc) imported some French made saxes (Beaugnier?) stencilled "Martin" in between the last of the true Martins and the stencilled Yanagisawas?

Didn't know that. I am sure that the one or two late Martins I saw with simplified engraving were the real Martin design (which is quite distinctive).

I did have once a Dolnet tenor stencilled "Martin Paris" but I have never heard that it was some kind of replacement for the US Martin. I think instead it may have been intended for a French entity named "Robert Martin".
From Wikipedia:

The rights to the Martin trademark were taken over by Wurlitzer, and the Martin factory became a division of Wurlitzer in Elkhart. Wurlitzer eventually discontinued production of saxophones and sold low-quality saxophones made by Malerne as "The Martin". In 1971 the rights to the Martin name were bought by Leblanc, and Wurlitzer closed the old Martin factory.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts

Here is one of those French ones on ebay. I notified the seller of the error:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ma....H1.Xmartin.TRS0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=16231

·
872 Posts
From Wikipedia:

The rights to the Martin trademark were taken over by Wurlitzer, and the Martin factory became a division of Wurlitzer in Elkhart. Wurlitzer eventually discontinued production of saxophones and sold low-quality saxophones made by Malerne as "The Martin". In 1971 the rights to the Martin name were bought by Leblanc, and Wurlitzer closed the old Martin factory.
Wikipedia is, unsurprisingly, wrong.

Wurlitzer kept Committee III and Imperial saxophones in production throughout their ownership. I don't know when the allegedly-low-quality French imports were built nor by whom, but that doesn't change the fact that true Martin saxophones were still in production when Leblanc bought the company.

As to the OP, the "RMC" engraving disappeared sometime in the 219000 range. Why it was removed is anyone's guess because it would seem to have been before Richards Music went bankrupt (either that or production slowed to a trickle in 1963).

·
4,580 Posts
Wikipedia is, unsurprisingly, wrong.

Wurlitzer kept Committee III and Imperial saxophones in production throughout their ownership. I don't know when the allegedly-low-quality French imports were built nor by whom, but that doesn't change the fact that true Martin saxophones were still in production when Leblanc bought the company.

As to the OP, the "RMC" engraving disappeared sometime in the 219000 range. Why it was removed is anyone's guess because it would seem to have been before Richards Music went bankrupt (either that or production slowed to a trickle in 1963).
If that's the case, and you have sources to back that up, you should go edit that Wiki page so rubes like me don't get misinformed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts