Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched old threads , no luck .

What can be done to take the stiffness out of these ? C# B Bb-- G# is fine never sticks. Would it be at all possible to change to a modern set from a parts horn ?

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
IMHO, when in proper mechanical condition, padded well, and given a little thought as to adjustment material selection and spring tensioning, this pinky table works just fine and feels very nice. Get your keys fit and operating completely freely with no play, use teflon and synthetic materials without gumminess, slop, play, or sponginess. Get your pads sealing perfectly so they close absolutely all around all at once with minimal pressure (seat it with the spring engaged), and set your spring tensions so that the keys just barely remain open when you lay the horn on its side, keys up. If you do all that well and right, you'll find that pinky table is actually a really good design and feels great. Just remember, its true for everything but particularly with less forgiving older mechanism designs, good enough never is. Make it perfect and you will be rewarded.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
I searched old threads , no luck .

What can be done to take the stiffness out of these ? C# B Bb-- G# is fine never sticks. Would it be at all possible to change to a modern set from a parts horn ?
I have an entire set of Martins, and once the set-up was right, it hasn't bothered me at all- and I changed from Yamaha 82 z's- which are as modern as you can get.

As Abadcliche mentioned- spring tension is critical and the 'lay the horn on its side' test is a good one.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i took it to a Tech and the problem was I set to much tension on the G# (the one on the stack). Fine now,as for the body and brace he suggested to leave it.It is not too bad and the soldered tone holes could be effected by the force on the body.With that pinky table in good adjustment it is easy and comfortable.

Thanks to all who pitched in on this !!

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
Seems your problem was solved. Some people just like the feel of the Martin pinky table. Some don't and it doesn't necessarily matter how much they try to get used to it, it's just not for them. Here is an extreme example of a Martin modified with completely modern keys.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen this already,looks great, imagine the price of that mod ! I am liking mine fine now with better set up. Ever since I started playing, I wanted a horn with the sound of the Martin. The Martin ended up costing me about 1200 so I think it is a bargain.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
wow man, where did you get that image?
This was done by Leopold Kondratov who was showing in Musikmesse. His main thing there was his new key system which uses normal leather pads but can vary the key cups between floating and secure like a normal sax. He also modified this Martin with his key system.

·
Registered
682 Posts
too bad I turned my back on German lessons in the 10th grade. Wow .. but not sure what it is. Tilting pinky yes but ...

Anyone seen carbon fibre keys?

Ooops now I see the english button !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts