Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I play a Martin Commitee III tenor and really like it. However, I feel that the horn was produced to be held to the right side of your body instead of in front of you. This clearly shows in the position of the neck strap eyelet which is far to the right and shifts the balance of the horn so you need to put hour neck to the right etc.

I noticed the eyelet (is this the right word?!) is absolutely not in line with the 2 thumb rests, too which I find annyoing.

I however prefer having my horn in front of me and would like to move this thing more to the left. Also, I feel the left thumb thumbhook is quite high and I would love to have my thumb closer to the actual body. With the right hand I already moved to hook completely and play without it which feels great. The Martin is already a heavy and BIG feeling horn and I appreciate the lightness and direct transmission of vibrations.

Long post - short: does anyone here have experiences with these changes? Is it easy to change the position of the eyelet or to change the left hand thumb rest?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check out martinmods and see if they are doing any of those I know they have done some things and sell stuff to mod them with. The Martins are the most under rated tenors period! They are killers but ergos are tuff. After you put alot of time on the martin sound wise other horns wont compare. Call me crazy!!

Jimmie

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Martin Mods owner Lance Burton is a known con-artist. Do not purchase anything from him whatsoever.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,744 Posts
Martin Mods owner Lance Burton is a known con-artist. Do not purchase anything from him whatsoever.

- Saxaholic
For real. Where’d that hell thread go from a few years back? He was basically stealing people’s horns. I’ve seen him posting on Facebook, still doing business, I don’t get it.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Hey,

I play a Martin Commitee III tenor and really like it. However, I feel that the horn was produced to be held to the right side of your body instead of in front of you. This clearly shows in the position of the neck strap eyelet which is far to the right and shifts the balance of the horn so you need to put hour neck to the right etc.

I noticed the eyelet (is this the right word?!) is absolutely not in line with the 2 thumb rests, too which I find annyoing.

I however prefer having my horn in front of me and would like to move this thing more to the left. Also, I feel the left thumb thumbhook is quite high and I would love to have my thumb closer to the actual body. With the right hand I already moved to hook completely and play without it which feels great. The Martin is already a heavy and BIG feeling horn and I appreciate the lightness and direct transmission of vibrations.

Long post - short: does anyone here have experiences with these changes? Is it easy to change the position of the eyelet or to change the left hand thumb rest?
GRRR! I typed a whole response and it disappeared!

It's easy to change the position of the strap ring. My suggestion would be to book some time with your technician to try out different positions. If they put it in a particular position and you try it and don't like it, it will literally take less than 5 minutes to unsolder it and change it to another position.

The thumbrest is a bit more tricky. You can remove the rest, machine it down, and reinstall it, but the amount you can lower it will highly depend on the geometry of the octave key touch. You have to allow for the necessary amount of travel, plus some room for a cork. You may find that it's not worth the trouble.

And finally, to question the whole premise: Do you plan never to play the horn sitting down, or are you exceptionally tall so you can be one of the tiny fraction of tenor players who play seated with the horn in front? For me, as a (male) person of medium size, I decided some years ago to play everything off to the right whether sitting or standing, so there would be no differences in basic position when playing alto, tenor, or baritone (I only play straight soprano). So you might want to consider this.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I picked up a Martin C3 alto which had its original RH thumb replaced by a solid style and moved farther to the left. It does seem an improvement when compared to the C3 tenor I have. I've always set my mark 6 tenor's thumb rest to the left.
I like to play with the sax in front of me, too The only issue I have with playing the Martin tenor is muffling the Eb if the sax gets close to my right thigh.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Funny, I've never noticed a problem playing my Martin horns in either position. I was weened on vintage, in-line key design horns, so maybe this is one reason why.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies! I actually always play with the horn in front of me, even when sitting, like in Big Band. I just sit at the edge of the chair. I dont really have problems with the ergos but I feel the everything in the horn is made to have it to the side. I'll look into getting the eyelet soldered somewhere else and maybe even to flatten the RH rest.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
... I feel the everything in the horn is made to have it to the side...
That's because the standard posture for tenor and baritone sax is to hold it off to the right side. Some instruments will be easier to play in non-standard positions and some more difficult, but the instrument is designed to be played hanging on the right side.

As noted earlier, I made a personal choice to play alto and tenor to the right (and of course baritone) so my playing position would be as close as possible to the same for all three instruments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts