Sax on the Web Forum banner

The Martin Committee 3 alto 1945-1971; same design throughout the run?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MartinMusicMan 
#1 ·
A lot is written about Selmer mark 6 manufacturing changes during its approx. 20 year run, with the earlier horns being arguably more desirable than later ones. Is the same true for The Martin Committee 3?
I am looking at buying a 1945 The Martin alto that look to have been little used. Were these better or worse than that 50's or later horns ? What about the tenors?

#2 ·
I've read here that no, nothing changed during the run. To my eye, the late ones (very late 60s+) cheaped-out on engraving and possibly keywork, but they are supposed to be just as good as the older ones. I have a 1948 tenor that is fantastic. If you are ok with the ergos (the pinky table isn't great), go for it.

#6 ·
My '46 The Martin alto is the bomb: gorgeous in looks and in tone, and so solidly built. Not sure what pads or resos it's sporting. But yeah, that LH pinky table's a trifle hard to cognitively map. My Zephyr alto and Buescher tenor much easier to navigate for some reason.

But my Martin's so sweet that it actually convinced my friend's mother, who's not a player, to pick up the sax.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.