Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe asked before, but if someone can put The Martin alto pad dimensions. I know I could measure them, but instrument should be disassembled, what I don't want to do before getting a new pads for repad. I know the best thickness should be cca. 160 (4,1mm).

Thanx

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
musicmedic sells a kit of pads for martin altos. You could buy their kit. Or maybe if you asked really really nicely they'd tell you their measurements. Of course every horn will vary slightly....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Then you are locked into Precision brand pads...which are good but not everyone's cup of tea.

What I would suggest is that you get some cheap slide calipers and just measure the outside of each keycup. Supply the pad supplier with those measurements, and have them do the math to supply you with the proper sizes.

I guess I don't quite understand something:

You are buying just pads...so my assumption is that you are doing the repad, because if you weren't...why not just let the tech supply the pads, right (?)

So if you are doing the repad, you need to disassemble the horn anyway, and pads can get to you w/i a week if you Priority ship.

So..rather than just doing some sorta other way, which is gonna be compromised on a few pads (I guarantee it)...why not just start taking the horn apart now and getting the measurements exact ?

(Unless it's your only horn and you absolutely cannot lose access to it for about 7 days....which you would have to do if you brought it to a tech, anyway...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Measure the cups with a caliper....The only sure way to get it right. I can take 3 horns of the same brand and same serial number run and find several cups that are different. Shouldn't be that hard as you need to remove the pads anyway. Once you have the pads oout, do the caliper trick, order the pads and by the time you have the horn cleaned and ready to pad you should have the pads there. I use the MM precision pads with the flat metal resos. Great for Martins.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Bruce is dead on with that statement. This is even more true for Conns. And what you will find is you will order a padset, then have to return 2 or 3 and get those resent....I prefer to have them all correct the first time, so I would definitely measure them myself if I were you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Another helpful thing that I do, and I'm sure others as well, is write the pad sizes in the keycups (where the pad goes) with a sharpie, so when they arrive, they go in quickly and efficiently...no guessing 31mm vs 32mm etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Also I write down the sizes by key like:Ov, Palm F,Eb, etc. for the whole horn and then count up how many of each size. MusicMedic has a great website for ordering and they get the orders right. What model of Martin is it? I have the sizes for the Handcraft Imperial alto handy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks anyone for the suggestions, as the horn needs more extensive work, not just repad, I will have it fixed with qualified repairman, so he will get the pads for it...

regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts