Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're probably familiar with it, e.g. as shown by the palm "D" key here: https://www.getasax.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/DSC_5179.jpg

Anyone know why this was on a limited series of horns? From limited research I've done (online, ebay) it seems like this stamp was only on horns from the 141,xxx - 143,xxx series, which would all be 1967. Is that accurate? If so, then there's presumably at most about 3000 of these made?

I realize this is all trivia, but I'm oddly fascinated about this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Mine is 140,xxx and has the vertical stamp.

I have seen some early 5 digit horns as mentioned above with a larger font stamp as well.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It means they play waaaaay better than the others. I heard Michael Brecker had them put a vertical Stamp on his. That's probably why he was so good!!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It means they play waaaaay better than the others. I heard Michael Brecker had them put a vertical Stamp on his. That's probably why he was so good!!
shh, don't let Meridian Winds hear about that. a great business opportunity here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
It's got more to do with where the instrument was assembled rather than SN. No Paris made horns had this (or any other) stamp or engraving until late in the run. Most US assembled horns with the stamp are earlier rather than later in SN.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
You guys are going to start a new trend: "Hey man, you gotta get one of those vertical stamp VIs. They have the sound!" Soon they'll be selling for a couple grand more than the non-vertical stamped horns...

·
Registered
716 Posts
The vertical "Mark VI" stamp started appearing in the early 140k range. This stamp was applied in the Selmer Paris factory in France, not just to US-Market saxophones, but to all markets. This stamp continued until the late 143k range, when it was replaced by the stamped (not engraved) "Mark VI" on the bell/bow band.
For a brief period, roughly between 143,1xx and 143,6xx, BOTH the vertical Mark VI stamp and the bell/bow Mark VI stamp appeared. After roughly 143,7xx the vertical stamp disappears.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
The vertical "Mark VI" stamp started appearing in the early 140k range. This stamp was applied in the Selmer Paris factory in France, not just to US-Market saxophones, but to all markets. This stamp continued until the late 143k range, when it was replaced by the stamped (not engraved) "Mark VI" on the bell/bow band.
For a brief period, roughly between 143,1xx and 143,6xx, BOTH the vertical Mark VI stamp and the bell/bow Mark VI stamp appeared. After roughly 143,7xx the vertical stamp disappears.
Thanks for this and for the correction, Douglas!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts