Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I was wondering if the greater saxophone world could help me out. I've been playing the saxophone for a reasonable amount of time (~10 years), and I have started getting interested in MIDI wind controllers. I had the opportunity to try one out at the end of last year (I believe it was an Aerophone), and it was SO FUN!

So here's the question:

Which brand of wind controller (Be it Akai, Roland, Yamaha, the new Vindor ES1) has the closest fingerings to a saxophone? I've heard that some design their keyboards around the clarinet, and I am continually struggling with our older cousin's keywork. I know that the Roland is based on the saxophone, but it's a rather expensive piece of equipment in comparison to the Akai and Vindor products.

Follow-Up Question:

I've heard whispers that the Akai keyboard can be recalibrated to one similar to a saxophone, and I was wondering if
1. Is this true?
2. How complicated of a process is this?

Thank you all for your help. Please let me know if my questions don't make sense or if I'm straight-up being stupid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dr G!

Thank you so so much! I haven't posted a whole lot on this forum and am still learning the ropes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I've heard that some design their keyboards around the clarinet, and I am continually struggling with our older cousin's keywork.

That's the first I've heard that - the few that I've played have all had octave keys rather than register keys (ala clarinet). The WX7 was pretty easy to adapt to since it had keys that actuated switches. The Akai, in contrast, was touch sensitive, meaning that it detected contact by the fingertips. That was difficult for me because I tend to rest my fingers on the key touches (vs clarinet, where one suspends the fingertips above the keys when not closing a tone hole).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've only played a Yamaha WX-11. Its keys feel something like those of a soprano sax, but with an extremely light action. Plus it responds to lip and breath pressure. But standard fingerings aside (altissimo excluded), it doesn't really play like any horn I've ever tried. It's fun, and reminiscent of a sax or clarinet, but ultimately is a different instrument.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i've had the EWI USB for many moons now. light, easy to finger and configure, and a perfect compliment to most of the synth software i got on my computers.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I use a WX7, but can't compare to an EWI. For me, it helps to be good at fine tuning the response of your synth to how you use breath control. Some synths make this easier than others. And it takes time to get the feel of it. The more you play it, the more comfortable it will become. For me, some of the phrasing lays a little different than sax due to the auxiliary fingerings. It does take some time although I didn't think the learning time on WX7 was too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts