Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some years of high baffle tenors mouthpieces (dukoff/guardala) I'm now searching for the magic "in between". (I think it was Peter Jessen that first used the expression in this interview: http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/PeterJessen.html)

This have to be a mouthpiece that gives a fat tenor tone, but still has so much punch that you can match the electric guitars. Jessen said: ".. combining the fullness of the old with the speed of the modern".

It means a mpc with a little baffle, but not as much as a "II" (MBII/SGII/M2/KWII/Jumbo Java). But it have to have more baffle than a small roll over baffle (KWI/Link/Meyer/Java).

Are there any anyone else looking for the same? And if so, what have you found?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
My HR Berg 3 chamber has a great jazz voice, but can really scream when pushed.

I wonder if the Jody Jazz DV CHI might fit the bill?

·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Simund451: The Phil-Tone Eclipse is in this category.

Yes, Atonal: HR Bergs are nice "in betweene". I have refaced 3 of them lately and was was surprised at how flexible they were finally.

I also had a Jary Custom Metal killer, who was almost there. But I thought it was a bit to much like a good Otto Link, and missed the ability to scream like (the Dukoff/Guardala).

I also was thinking of the JJ DV CHI - are there any other metal mouthpieces like this?

·
13,543 Posts
Also, for used pieces I have (all in mint condition)

Lakey Metal (amazingly well made with good tone compared to the horrid plastic pieces)
Drake Studio
Guardala Crescent
Berg 2 or 1 pieces

That about covers it for me.

·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is perhaps something more in the direction of a Link than a Guardala, something with a little thicker rails/walls and that may have a medium baffle and medium chamber - not big chamber/high baffle? I have a handmade Guardala Studio is actually not as bright as one might think.

(This is not a WTB-tread. I'm not primarily looking for advice to buy a new mouthpiece, but more looking to discuss and get others' experiences. Although my case of GAS certainly leads to ....)

Metal Lakey --- hmmm, perhaps?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Barone Hollywood - easily fits the bill for me. I would say that tonally it is right smack in the middle of the bright/dark spectrum; but, depending how you play it, can go pretty far in either direction. I've been recording with it and will switch to another piece for comparison and have always gone back to the Hollywood sound. More of a "covers most ground" than "in between"

·
13,543 Posts
I was really shocked when I played the Lakey. I expected a piece of junk that I would have to spend hours rebuilding but it is a well constructed piece.

...they must have outsourced :)

·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barone Hollywood - easily fits the bill for me. I would say that tonally it is right smack in the middle of the bright/dark spectrum; but, depending how you play it, can go pretty far in either direction. I've been recording with it and will switch to another piece for comparison and have always gone back to the Hollywood sound. More of a "covers most ground" than "in between"
Interesting! Does the Barone mpc have a thin tip rail and rails? My Guardala are so thin that it is almost uncomfortable.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,686 Posts
Yes, I know exactly what the OP is talking about and I think it exists in a number of mpcs. The one where I found this characteristic is an RPC 120B, with a medium (as opposed to high) baffle. Ron made it for me with a smaller, more rounded baffle.

The Bergs have always come with 3 different sized baffles, I believe.

The important thing, as I understand it, is to balance the size of the tip with the baffle and chamber size. So the key for that RPC I have seems to be a large tip to offset the baffle somewhat (larger tip = more body), combined with a relatively large chamber.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting! Does the Barone mpc have a thin tip rail and rails? My Guardala are so thin that it is almost uncomfortable.
Phil's finishing on the tip is unique. the rails are much thicker than guardala, but not as thick as a berg. I'd say similar to an otto link. I'd suggest dropping him an email or giving a call. In my experience, Phil has been extremely helpful and will straight up tell you if he doesnt think his pieces will work for you.

I think you're going to get a ton of good suggestions here, so good luck in the search!

·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was really shocked when I played the Lakey. I expected a piece of junk that I would have to spend hours rebuilding but it is a well constructed piece.

...they must have outsourced :)
LOL

Jeff Kashiwa used to play these mouthpieces:

·
13,543 Posts
I dont have first hand experience with the older piece but I have been told they are better than current production runs. The new ones (plastic versions) are just sad...I cant put it any other way.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not sure of your budget but you really should try a Theo Wanne Durga. Based on the baffle it looks bright but it really is a middle of the road mpc that can roar.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Based on what I have tried :

- Link FLorida (amazing rich sound but more difficult altissimo for me)
- Phil Tone HR (I always come back to it . Best HR piece I have tried so far)
- Theo Wanne Durga (projects like a Guardala but with lots more harmonics and rich tone)

·
3,590 Posts
I am totally satisfied with my refaced dukoff h chamber. They are hard to find, but offer all those things you said. This is all bearing in mind that I have a naturally bright sound.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
2,309 Posts
"but still has so much punch that you can match the electric guitars"

There is your problem. You have to face the fact that you will never be able to compete with a guitar, especially if the guitar player is a volume idiot on stage.

You have to resign yourself to that fact and get a good stage monitor and have a sound tech that knows and wants to bring you up to balance with the rest or get out of loud rock (or loud any type) bands.

Now to appease your own personal tone thoughts I'd advise you for that "Link'ish" sound, get a link and let someone like Brian Powell 'tune' it brighter perhaps adding a bit of baffle to one untill it gets where YOU want it to be.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
The "adding a baffle to a Link thing" has never worked for me. I'm of the same opinion with the high baffle. I'm just tired of that kind of sound, I prefer smaller tip openings, and also don't like the thin shape of the Guardalas.
Two mouthpieces that look (I haven't tried them yet) like they might work for me is the Lebayle that is more of a Link style chamber or a metal Yanagisawa (which I like on soprano, but has that thin shape).
Ideally, something like a Link design with a smaller chamber.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts