Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's good to see this horn is being kept in a place the rightfully honors a true genius like Charlie Parker. However, the accompanying text is so full of inaccuracies. I guess that's how it's always been and how it always will be.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Special fingerings one can only guess? You are correct, he died in NY. Also, he had his horns with him at Nica's because he was on his way to a gig when he stopped there instead. The article claimed he left it in a pawn shop.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought the story of Chan saving the Grafton from the flooded house was interesting, haven't heard that before. I assume that's accurate since it was recounted by Kim.

In terms of "distinct fingerings," I think the curator (not sure what her saxophone knowledge is) probably looked at the horn compared to a Selmer or modern Selmer-style horn and noticed that the pinky keys, etc. were different and attributed it to some special aspect of this particular horn that only Bird had/used. It helps add to an aura that this is a special horn (which it is regardless) but something like "this was Bird's horn and only he could play it."

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
"this was Bird's horn and only he could play it."
Except when Phil Woods used it. He was chastised by Mingus for using it. However, Woods explained it, he borrowed it for a gig because he hocked his horn to put food on the table for Bird's kids, as he was living with Chan at the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts