Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I am retiring from the public school band teacher gig in June and also retiring from private saxophone, clarinet and flute teaching at the end of this month. For 37 years, I have been listening to kids prepare an assignment, I've written comments and an assignment for next week's lesson in a spiral notebook. Next week, the kid comes back, hands me the spiral notebook, I look at the assignment, listen to the kid's preparation, write comments and an assignment for next week....you get the idea.

Later this month, there will be no "next week". I am struggling to think of something, or some things (other than recommend a new teacher which takes all of about 30 seconds) to do, to write, some pearls of wisdom to give my students as they leave my studio for the last time. As they are paying me, and expect something of value in return, I'd like to deliver and make these last lessons worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
First off......congrats! As for the "words of wisdom".... Well, as someone who has himself been teaching in my 29th yr now, I honestly can't think of anything incredibly positive or "motivating" I'd say to former students that I don't already attempt to do on a regular basis! I'm sure you can say the same or you wouldn't be asking that question! I'd just wish them luck, tell them to keep working and to never give up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You have been specially prepared for a reason. Look for ways to grow in expressing yourself as a musician. You may be the next voice the world needs to hear. Relax and never let fear keep you from trying the next harder thing. Use what you have been given to make people's lives better, in your family, your rehearsals, and in what you say to the world through music. Keep your notebook of ideas and pull it out sometimes to remember things that worked. Keep listening to the players you admire, and learn from them. Never stop working hard and having fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Thank you for being a lifetime teacher. Respect.

I, too, recently retired from my day gig, part of which has been mentoring young scientists and engineers for the last many years. Your post is something that is fresh in my mind. I suggest something of the following - it is similar to what I have shared with my young colleagues.

"Thank YOU for making me part of your journey to become a musician. Be in the moment. Always listen. Play well."

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

jgreiner: keep the faith, brother!!

Catduet: thanks. those are all great!

Dr G: right on!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I did not see this when you originally posted it. Congrats! Hope all went well and you are enjoying your new life.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just found this thread as well. Congrats of the retirement.

As for making the last lesson worthwhile. As a student I wouldn't expect anything more than what you have already offered. A lesson and words of encouragement to continue on. If they have been students of yours for any length of time I'm sure you have already given them something they will remember and take with them for the rest of their lives. I certainly remember all of the teachers/instructors who have made an impact on my life - especially all of my music instructors. I can name all of them today starting with my piano teacher from 50 years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Yep, sorry I didn't see this thread back in May.

I would want to make sure they all remember why they're playing. Remember that music is supposed to be fun, and it's supposed to heal and make people happy. Keep the joy, and if they don't have it, go find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts