Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's a click bait thread title...and I know nothing of such a beast. :cry:

However, The 100th anniversary of the Julius Keilwerth Saxophone Company will be coming up here in a few years...or several..ok a half dozen...

I'm sure they will be offering a 100th Anniversary model, just as they did the 75th Anniversary model back in 2000-2001.

So, what new features, special finishes or options or other limited features should the 100th Anniversary model have? And/or should they use it as the basis for the next regular model that they make? How to make it unique and even better than the current SX-90R horns, but still maintain that characteristic Keilwerth sound and feel?

Hopefully we can generate a consensus of some ideas to help the powers that be in Germany start thinking about what they should do for the 100th Anniversary model.

Black nickel has been Keilwerth's trade mark for many years now. I think their new model should definitely feature a black nickel finish, similar to their current black gold and Shadow horns now. But maybe it could be double black nickel plated, so it's an even deeper black...like playing a black hole... Or how about nickel-silver body with gold or silver plating over the nickel silver? That could look cool, like the older gold nickel (gold lacquer over nickel plating on the brass body) that they used to offer. What about a titanium plated saxophone, like the one Stephen Boesken did some years ago?

And an elaborate special 100th Anniversary engraving all the way up the body and on the neck like the Shadows, but a new design.

I would also like to see them come up with a way to make the side keys adjustable like the palm keys. Maybe a new lighter weight left hand table keys and right hand pinky keys, to increase the ease and speed of playing at the bottom of the horn. And add a high G key to the altos, tenors, and sopranos. Obviously the bari would have to have a low A...maybe even a low Ab? Rolled tone holes should be a must, but they should go back to real rolled tone holes, not just the soldered on rings.

Maybe a similar redesign of the bore for the altos, tenors and baritones to what the sopranos got in 2010 with the Liebman redesign.

Anyone else have any other cool ideas?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am a huge JK fan, all my horns but one is a Keilwerth. I also owned the 75th anniversary model. That being said, the company seems to be having a tough time meeting demand on the sopranos and the SX line is pretty expensive as is. I would like them to invest in marketing and production to keep the line viable. The added cost of special features for a limited run model seems great to us fans but realistically how many would sell at the price point they would demand ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts