Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something light for the summer?
The history of different gener of Jazz focused on sax, or biographies and anectodal stories of sax players (short), or ....

I've found several on amazon but they 're about all instruments

P.S. That's training material also:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Check out: "Masters of Jazz Saxophone: The story of the players and their music" by Dave Gelly. It is an oversized coffee table type book, but good/fun reading. (it's on amazon)

and on a related topic...:D

"Aldolphe Sax: 1814-1894" by Wally Horwood....a must read for all saxophonists. It is hard to come by and expensive, but you may find one in your library. This is an amazingingly detailed biography of the man to whom we owe so much. There are many interesting stories about how he created the instrument, what a bad businessman he was, and how bad luck just seemed to follow him. (He almost died around 10 times.) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (on amazon for $125) for an abridged (and less entertaining) version look into "Sax and his Saxophone" by Leon Kochnitzky. (go to www.saxalliance.org to find it.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not so much the history of jazz, but for a great history of the saxophone, check out The Devil's Horn by Michael Segell, great book.

Aside from that...my favorite book related to jazz is Straight Life: The Story of Art Pepper.... an intense book.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Straight Life is great. The Miles autobiography that he did with Quincy Troupe
was very cool also. My buddy had a book called "Jazz Anecdotes" that was great. I can't recall the author/pub. but it had many cool quotes, stories etc.
I think I'm gonna check Amazon right now..........

·
Registered
414 Posts
DTExpress said:
The Miles autobiography that he did with Quincy Troupe
was very cool also. My buddy had a book called "Jazz Anecdotes" that was great. I can't recall the author/pub. but it had many cool quotes, stories etc.
I think I'm gonna check Amazon right now..........

I have Jazz Anecdotes...I don't read it to much becuase of how it is organized, but the content is great. Its by Bill Crow.

Miles autobio is awesome too, but Straight Life is even more extreme, if you can believe that...

Also, you might want to check out the Visions of Jazz series by Gary Giddins, I have 'the first century', looks good, but haven't gotten to read it yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ramZsax's suggestion of Bill Crow's Jazz Anecdotes is what I'm looking for.
Hope it gets here before August.

Thanks everybody.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts