Sax on the Web Forum banner

yani soprano and 'nino better than selmers?

• yani's is better

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • they are equal

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • selmers is better

Votes: 9 36.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, are the yani soprano and 'nino better, equal or worse than the selmers? + explain please :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I have no comments since I do not have experience on either of these horns for Nino or sop., but I did vote and since I use a Yani alto and like it better than the Ref. 54, I voted for Yani. Post mainly for a helpful bump.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I don't know if many players have played any nino, much less both the Yani and Selmer versions. That may explain the lack of response. I've played the Yani nino and like it, but would prefer the R&C because of the palm keys......I've played a Selmer Series III soprano and it was ok, but have never played a straight Yani soprano(I tried the SC901 and SC991 which were both nice).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Dr_sax said:
For soprano and bari yani´s are the best for me. On alto/tenor I prefer selmer.
A strong ditto regarding the Yani sops (even though I have owned Selmer sops), Selmer tenors, and Yani baris. I've no experience with ninos nor a desire to try them. Alto is not my bag - even though I've had more altos than baris.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a Yani S6 but never played the Selmer.

Somebody send me a Selmer to compare.
I'll send it back when I'm done.

Or...... change Selmer to Selman in the poll and I'll just vote for Yani.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I tried a Selmer 'nino (a new one) a few years back, in Boston. Wasn't impressed. I bought an R&C 'nino (new, and keyed to hi-F# as I recall) a while back and was impressed, but sold it. I had no use for it other than a looky-here.

I've never tried a Yanagisawa 'nino. I did not vote in the poll because I am of the opinion that the preferences are too personal and too subjective.

I have owned Selmer sops (VI and Serie III) and Yanagisawa sops (too numerous to list, but still have an S992 and an SC902).

I'd pick Yanagisawa sops every time, but leave room for that one exceptional saxophone that someone will claim is better. DAVE

·
Registered
881 Posts
I currently have a Selmer mark 6 soprano and a Yani SC992. The Mk6 is great, but I think the Yani is even better. The yani tenor (T992) is also a fantastic horn.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I had a Yani nino for about a year. Very easy to play in tune. It was a fun little toy but in the end I sold it since I really didn't play it much.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, on second tought. I think I'll go for a bari instead. Maybe buy a nino in a few years.. thanks anyways

1 - 11 of 11 Posts