Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Before I even knew who the OP was, I guessed that this thread must be a sequel to the thread about how the Mark VII was designed to support the weight of a 747 rolling over its bell. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?13843-How-much-does-your-Tenor-weigh/page6

I could not find the thread I was looking for, but here is one of them

found it:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive...p/t-13843.html

Martin-made Olds Ambassador: 6.6 lb (3 kg)
Buescher Aristocrat, 156 model: 6.6 lb (3 kg)
Yani T-902: 7.0 lb (3.2 kg)
Doefler & Jorga "Roxy" : 7.0 lb (3.2 kg)
Dolnet Belair: 7.5 lb (3.4 kg)

1955 The martin 7lb 4oz
1928 buescher true tone 7lb 9oz
1977 selmer mk7 7lb 9oz
1930 martin typewriter(master) 7lb 4oz
1949 conn 10m 7lb 3oz

Tenor: Selmer Mark VI (95XXX) original lacquer no high F# key. Body and Neck - no mouthpiece.

7 Pounds 1/2 ounce
3.195 Kilograms

I have a postage scale that is extremely accurate.

Buescher Aristocrat 3.06
King Tempo (Keilwerth New King) 3.13
Martin Committee II 3.23
Dolnet Belair 3.32
Yanagisawa T902 3.32
King Marigaux (SML) 3.41
Vito VSP (Yanagisawa T800) 3.42
B&S Chicago Jazz Earthtone 3.44
Buffet Super Dynaction 3.50
Dolnet Royal Jazz 3.60

These are kilogram weights for tenors I own, measured fully assembled (no mouthpiece) with a digital fish scale I suspended from a ceiling beam.

Here are accurate weights for modern altos and tenors from the "Big 5," all measured with a precision digital shop scale with 1/100 pound accuracy. The following listed weights are in pounds. All horns have standard lacquer finish unless noted otherwise. I will update as I have access to more saxes. The differences between saxes are pretty small, and probably not worth worrying about. Basically, tenors weigh 7.55 +/- 0.25 lbs, and altos weigh 5.55 +/- 0.10 lbs. Pretty insignificant differences, at least for those new pro level saxes from the "Big 5".

Tenors...
Yanagisawa 991: 7.32
Keilwerth Shadow (plated): 7.36
Selmer Reference 36: 7.41
B&S CJS: 7.61
B&S CJS (Earthtone): 7.62
Yamaha 875: 7.68
Yanagisawa 9932: 7.83

Altos...
Yanagisawa 9933: 5.50
Yamaha 875: 5.52
B&S CJS: 5.61
Yanagisawa 992: 5.62

[from pjwsax:]
I've compiled all the weights given in this thread so far (as of October 20, 2006 @ 19:00 EST) and have worked out the statistics. Keep in mind that these results are only as accurate as what was posted. First, here's the results of all the numbers given:

Tenors
sample size: 42
minimum: 6.000 lbs / 2.722 kg
average: 7.312 lbs / 3.317 kg
maximum: 8.375 lbs / 3.799 kg
range: 2.375 lbs / 1.077 kg
std dev: 0.417 lbs / 0.189 kg

All examples of a given brand (where there was more than one example):

B&S 7.605 lbs / 3.449 kg
Buescher 6.992 lbs / 3.171 kg
Conn 7.064 lbs / 3.204 kg
Keilworth 7.188 lbs / 3.261 kg
King 7.158 lbs / 3.247 kg
Martin 7.059 lbs / 3.202 kg
Selmer 7.251 lbs / 3.289 kg
Yamaha 7.520 lbs / 3.411 kg
Yanagisawa 7.490 lbs / 3.397 kg

...and the few where multiple examples of a given model were posted...

B&S Chicago Jazz Earthtone 7.602 lbs / 3.448 kg
Conn 10M 7.094 lbs / 3.218 kg
Keilworth SX90R 7.131 lbs / 3.235 kg
Yamaha YTS 61 7.459 lbs / 3.383 kg

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?220558-What-is-the-lightest-weight-decent-tenor/page3

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
Does heaviest equals strongest ?
No. Why would it?

But I struggle to understand what is meant by a strong saxophone? I understand a strong woman, a strong cup of coffee, or a strong carrier bag. What is a strong saxophone?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I don’t know about that but maybe it was designed to land a 747 in the bell and use the upper bow as a hangar. I don’t think it can handle a C-5 Galaxy though. I miss my mk VII at times and I don’t know exactly why.

Before I even knew who the OP was, I guessed that this thread must be a sequel to the thread about how the Mark VII was designed to support the weight of a 747 rolling over its bell. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
I've always thought the Selmer USA pro-line tenor was heavy. I would weigh mine but I lightened it, so it wouldn't be representative. However, given the fairly wide range of tenor weights given in the excellent post by 'click', it probably was all in my head. I thought Conn and The Martin would be heavy but they were light! Another thing, you can tell that silver saxes are heavy - look at the 9932!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
If by 'strong' you mean sturdy and reliable, not prone to damage from normal handling, then no I'm fairly certain that doesn't correlate with the weight of a sax. The weight is probably a factor of key work (& weight of keys) maybe combined with the amount or thickness of the brass. I'm only guessing at that; perhaps one of techs on here or someone familiar with the manufacturing process could shed light on that. But I don't think you should assume that a heavier horn is less prone to damage.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Just from memory of having played them a few years back at my tech's shop, my impression was that the SML Gold Medal and Rev C and D horns were heavier than any Conn, King or Martin. Definitely heavier than my Comm III for sure. I also recall the Keilwerth New King and Tone King feeling like anchors too. Then again this was just my impression from play testing them and part of it could have been that the key-work was not as ergonomically comfortable for me as the Martin's. For that same reason I never ever have liked the 10-M in addition to it having that nasty cobra neck.

Anyway thank you Click for this nicely put together chart which also has another important function. It show which saxes most need the addition of nodal weights, klangbogen weights, fishing sinkers, boat anchors and other tone-enhancing mechanisms.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Many of the Taiwanese made tenors feel heavy to me including my Barone which is the heaviest of the 5 tenors I own. Of course, when you play a lot of bari none of the tenors feel particularly heavy ;) Most of the vintage horns don't have ribbed construction like many modern horns so they are unlikely to be as heavy overall by comparison.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
If you need a horn that's built like a tank, you should either buy a tank, or learn to treat your horn like a musical instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
If you want a heavy horn you could consider the Dolnet Royal Jazz.
The one I used to have felt like an anchor around my neck.
The Belair I currently have is far better.
You could always just get a bass sax though and be done with it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Strongest shouldn't at all factor in buying a sax. You drop any sax, it will come out of regulation. You don't want the strongest sax for traveling--you want the strongest and best absorbing sax case.
WORD !!!!

·
5,431 Posts
I suppose that for people with sufficiently delicate conditions, even a few ounces here and there might make a big difference.

For example, I was told not to pick up any weight over 8.5 pounds.

Generally, however, I am far more interested in the fact that people want to know about the weight of the different makes of horns than I am about the weights of any of my own horns.

·
5,431 Posts
Anyway thank you Click for this nicely put together chart which also has another important function. It show which saxes most need the addition of nodal weights, klangbogen weights, fishing sinkers, boat anchors and other tone-enhancing mechanisms.
I just lifted the material from earlier threads and cannot take any credit except for finding it again. And you are quite welcome.

Thanks a million for the nodal weights observation. That is a pretty good laugh. "Want your 156 to sound just like a yamaha? Our Removable 2 pound metal sleeve slips over your horn with ease providing just the right nodal response! Forget those measly 1 ounce weights! Its pounds you need! (Also available in the 2.25 pound Yani size!)"

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
The difference for me is only important in dealing with schlepping it around now that I'm living on borrowed time. But since most of the tenors are all within a few hundred grams of each other, it's not a big deal. What is a big deal is the case. My Pro-tec Contour XL weighed as much as the tenor whereas the old hard shell case I have used for a year now weighs half that but is just as strong. Strength without weight...hint hint. That makes a big difference to my back and knees when moving it around and taking it in and out of the car.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I just lifted the material from earlier threads and cannot take any credit except for finding it again. And you are quite welcome.

Thanks a million for the nodal weights observation. That is a pretty good laugh. "Want your 156 to sound just like a yamaha? Our Removable 2 pound metal sleeve slips over your horn with ease providing just the right nodal response! Forget those measly 1 ounce weights! Its pounds you need! (Also available in the 2.25 pound Yani size!)"
And for those who want a really deep foundation to their tone, there are the new cinderblock tone boosters that clamp onto the bow with rebar.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are thin, flexible lead weights with one side sticky, that are sold in tennis shops to put on tennis racquet frames - used by a lot of pros to produce more power.
However, you could stick one on each side of your sax neck, which could enhance your sound!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The max to min range is very wide, around 28%. 2.35 lb is a yuge difference around your neck. That said, the heaviest at 8.35 lb, is still a couple pounds lighter than the typical Les Paul, and 4 lb lighter than a Mastertone. I think mine range from 6.5 to 7.5 lb.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There is guy in Copenhagen making custom saxophones -they are heavy as hell!If I find his business card I will tell you.To me it felt like cast iron, weight - and soundweise.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts