Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Right on Randy. Another good one! Thanks. And man I love Houston Person's sound and playing. I was lucky enough to see him live some years back with Etta Jones. Needless to say, it was a fantastic show. Houston has such a great tone on the tenor...
Thanks JL! Yes his sound is great. And I particularly enjoy the way he accompanies vocalist. I mentioned this in the video, but there's a Laverne Butler album with him on it that is killer. One of my favorites. When I'm playing with a singer I often try to go to the Houston Person frame of mind.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This one was taken from a Gene Ammons solo on a tune called Groove Blues. As a side note, John Coltrane played an alto sax solo on this recording, so that's an additional reason to check out the original recording.

Randy Hunter
https://www.beginningsax.com - Jazz Improv & Beginning Sax Lessons
https://randyhunterjazz.vhx.tv - Access all of my lessons via monthly subscription

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's been a while since I posted one of these. Just been busy creating new lessons for my websites- but I found this Ike Quebec lick I thought would be great for the series. It's from a tune called Later for the Rock. The lick is at 3:00 in this F Blues (transposed key for tenor sax). Check it out- I think you'll dig the lick!

Randy Hunter
https://www.beginningsax.com - Jazz Improv & Beginning Sax Lessons
https://randyhunterjazz.vhx.tv - Access all of my lessons via monthly subscription

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,121 Posts
Right on, Randy! (your younger students might not know the "right on" phase either). The way we all used to refer to someone as great as Ike Quebec wouldn't get through the censor here, but you can fill in the blanks:

He was one "bad-*** ************." Meaning really great, but 'really great' doesn't quite cut it, LOL.

Lots of great blues licks to be found in Ike's playing and he had his own, really soulful sound, instantly recognizable. I like this one. Thanks again for posting these.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
JL- You're not kidding. Ike was definitely a bad-**, and his playing was far out too. (Another 70's term!) Glad you dig the lick. I'll see what else I can dig up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great Licks Randy thanks for posting. I also liked Illinois Jacquet and a lot of the Artist you mentioned in the first Motif Lesson plus I like Lou Donaldson too. Glad I found these today Will be learning some of them. I decided a few days ago to try to do my first Transcribing ever on Illinois Jacquet Loot to Boot CD two songs I like is Soft Winds and How Long. It will be a big challenge for me as I have never studied how to Transcribing or tried it. Bought Time I try it. Keep Them coming

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,107 Posts
Randy, thanks so much for all this stuff. That typical tenor sax vocabulary is one reason for my sax addiction. It is really nice to have those motifs “reverse-engineered” that way. No excuse anymore not to use them.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,121 Posts
Hey Randy, I really like that Scott Hamilton lick! Gonna incorporate that one for sure.

By the way I was lucky enough to see him about 15 years (?) ago at the Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society (a great small venue near where I live), right up in the front row. He's a fantastic player and really great in live performance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
GREAT COOL MOTIFS RANDY Keep UM Coming. WOW JL I would love to see Scott Hamilton. One or my Most Favorite Tenor Players. I have 11 of his CD's and we are the same Age. The song Blue Whales is on his Live at Brecon Jazz CD and Blues for Gene is on his At Last CD he plays mostly in Europe from what I read and I also read He had some clarinet lessons when he was about eight years of age, but that was the only formal music tuition he has ever had. Even at that age he was attracted to the sound of Johnny Hodges.

http://www.scotthamiltonsax.com/

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks Highnote, DexDex, and JL for checking these out and for the great feedback! I've always enjoyed transcribing bits and pieces from solos, looking to find passages that help identify classic players. of course, it's great to do complete transcriptions as well. Stay tuned, I'll add more as my time permits- lots on the musical table!

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Holy crap, that's good! I never heard of him before, thanks for sharing that!
Thanks to you too, Chilehed! Scott Hamilton is a tremendous player that often gets overlooked. Glad you've found him!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts