Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received an e-mail from All About Jazz about an hour ago...here are the highlights:

"Remember (the Grammy) is about excellence not popularity..." - Frank Sinatra at the 1st Grammy Awards ceremony in 1959

The ill-advised April 6th announcement by NARAS to cut thirty-one categories from the celebrated Grammy awards has been met with shock and loud protests nationally and internationally. Latin Jazz, Contemporary Jazz, Cajun, Zydeco, Hawaiian, Polka, Traditional World, and certain gospel, Blues, R&B, and Mexican categories, among others, have all been unceremoniously erased.

On Sunday, May 22nd, at 1pm, world-renowned artists, celebrities, writers, activists, and members of the media will gather at the world-famous Nuyorican Poets' Cafe in the Lower East Side of Manhattan to voice their opposition to the recent announcement by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS) to eliminate Latin Jazz from Grammy consideration, as well as many other styles of music representative of the diversity of the American musical landscape.

There's a petition going here: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=jygap...XcokZY13Ug4DcgCx5IplPHx0maafa9xoPg3nBks0J2MPM

I've always felt the Grammys are a joke - always putting the focus on mindless entertainment rather than art. During the Academy Awards, they might cut speeches shorter for "Best Documentary Short", but at least they still acknowledge all categories.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...those categories may be necessary...but the way they are voted doesnt make any sense anyways

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
None of that music was ever played on the show so it really doesn't matter.
I just thought it was funny at the last Grammys that no matter how much the little kid blew the recording executives they gave the award to the cute girl that plays bass.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
None of that music was ever played on the show so it really doesn't matter.
I just thought it was funny at the last Grammys that no matter how much the little kid blew the recording executives they gave the award to the cute girl that plays bass.
So in essence the Grammy's are about carnality. I'm sure the cute girl who plays bass was better!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
Why can't mindless entertainment be considered an art form?
There's good pop culture and bad pop culture. We've known it for years. We're just slower to recognize good pop music.

I think there ought to be a sunset, say 50 years, where pop gets to be treated as art. It might not make the grade, but at least should be listened to for what's good about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts