1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I thought everything was based on phi?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow! Its actually a ratio, 1:1.615 or something like that. I have seen the"Golden Ratio" in alot of advertising lately. Never thought Id see it used trying to sell sax gear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,925 Posts
Jody has been claiming this since the first DVs came out. They supposedly all have these proportions. They play very well, very free blowing, but I couldn't ever justify the price tag

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Apparently, the musical scale only relates to phi, the great pyramids, conch shells, the human body, and planetary orbits, if the tuning center is A = 432, as suggested by James Furia - http://www.goldennumber.net/music.htm, so, it would seem logical, that any acoustical structure derived from phi, functioning at a higher, A=440 pitch center, would actually be inharmonious with the rest of the universe. At $650.00 each, how much would it cost to get enough phi mouthpieces playing at once to tip the universal pitch center to A=440?

It is interesting that while the chamber is derived from phi, the facing curve is not.

I played the tenor model. It's nice, but I'm not convinced that phi is why.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'm willing to guess the thought process went something like this:

JE: (to self)

.... "hmmmm, I wonder if this whole phi thing would work for mouthpieces... I'm going to make one as an experiment"
.... hey, it plays really nicely! Cool! I think I'll sell these! And I have a marketing pitch to boot!

and that is likely that. Cause - effect is indeterminate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,765 Posts
Phi on gimmicks.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another cool number is 1.05946. This is the 12th root of 2 which means that number multiplied by itself 12 times equals 2. You can use this number to find the pitch or the wavelength of a note a half step or several half steps away from a given note. For example:

A = 440 vps 440 times 1.05946 = 466.16 or Bb 440 divided by 1.05946 = 415.30 or Ab

Wavelength of A = 440 is 78.4 cm* 78.4 times 1.05946 = 83.1 cm the wavelength of Bb and so on.

440 X 1.05946 X 1.05946 gives the frequency of the note a whole step higher.

440 X 1.0596 X1.0596 X1.0596 X 1.0596 gives the frequency of the note two whole steps higher.

* at speed of sound 345 m/s

Another interesting fact:

Phil Baron's name starts with the letters phi. His name has 10 letters, and 10 divided by 1.618 when rounded = 6 the exact number of letters in BARONE. Is this a coincidence? I think not.:bluewink:

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
I thought everything was based on phi?
My first three wives were all based on phi and I had a McDonald's apple phi yesterday - so it must be true.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Many mouthpiece designs were concieved using areodynamic ideas or some other non-acoustical ideas. It does not meant they will not work well. The DVs are very well made with nice CNC facing work. They are pricey but they deliver quality. I am more bugged by pricey mouthpieces that do not deliver quality.

I think "Chi" was short for Chicago. Do mouthpieces reflect regional preferences or origin anymore? Did they ever? Hollywood, New York, Miami, Chicago...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I tried a DV & did not like it, whereas his now discontinued ESP, without the dubious benefit of phi, works very well for me.
Surely a marketing ploy to justify a price hike.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Many mouthpiece designs were concieved using areodynamic ideas or some other non-acoustical ideas. It does not meant they will not work well. The DVs are very well made with nice CNC facing work. They are pricey but they deliver quality. I am more bugged by pricey mouthpieces that do not deliver quality.

I think "Chi" was short for Chicago. Do mouthpieces reflect regional preferences or origin anymore? Did they every? Hollywood, New York, Miami, Chicago...
I think Jody deserves respect for not only believing in a product- but also plays his [email protected]@ off- and is a very very serious guy.

NOTE- I do not play his stuff- but he is a very good friend I take seriously and think he desrves a lot of respect for his work.
I think he explains his motives on his website...and his intensions if you look.

I doubt it's a ploy but more so a mans belief in his dream and product. WHY NOT ASK HIM.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think Jody deserves respect for not only believing in a product- but also plays his [email protected]@ off- and is a very very serious guy.

NOTE- I do not play his stuff- but he is a very good friend I take seriously and think he desrves a lot of respect for his work.
I think he explains his motives on his website...and his intensions if you look.

I doubt it's a ploy but more so a mans belief in his dream and product. WHY NOT ASK HIM.
Yes, Tim is correct. All the information you wanted to know about Jody and his mouthpieces is on his website. I do play on his mouthpieces and to some they are pricey, to me it is worth every penny.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Yes, Tim is correct. All the information you wanted to know about Jody and his mouthpieces is on his website. I do play on his mouthpieces and to some they are pricey, to me it is worth every penny.
BTW- I enjoy your playing a lot too...Really balanced and very well rooted in good things.

Great meeting you <finally> at NAMM too. Keep on.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I too agree with Tim, Trahansax & MojoBari. The DV line is extremely well made and I personally play the DV and DV CHI on Tenor and DV on Alto. I've played many many pieces over the last 35 years and feel these are amongst the best ever made. Yes I've played a few DV's that were better than others. Then again, hand finishing, etc. comes into play. The ones I've chosen are exceptional, efffortless, fat, smooth and rich sounding. I believe they are worth the money when you consider the years of enjoyment they will bring.

Jody is a great guy, one who is truly passionate and enthusiastic about deliverying the best product possible and the quality shows. My pieces were purchased from him in person and he's always great to talk to and deal with. I don't think it's fair to assume otherwise or slander his reputation.

Jody, please keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts