Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I decided last year to take a work I have loved, and revamp it a bit. I figured maybe it could help people see the bigger picture of the piece, or maybe revitalize an interest in it.

I wrote the Glazounov Saxophone Concerto for Sax quartet. Its AATB, with the lead alto being the solo part. There are some definite changes to the part though. I simply wanted to make a contribution to the piece for mostly educational purposes. After a few rough drafts, I realized that I had NO idea what the orchestral parts were doing behind my back. I mean, I heard it but.... I never listened. After I finished the arrangement, I realized how much of the orchestra I had not picked up. I feel like this piece is deceptive like that.
Here is the info on it if you'd like to purchase it:

View attachment 237572

http://www.potenzamusic.com/concerto-in-e-flat-for-alto-saxophone-for-saxophone-quartet-147725.cfm?fbclid=IwAR0MR0iKMghjqb9iMD0ZATjAYCPK6Uv-VUeyaO-E9-RvJwHMk850e4-0GfE

Please get back to me if you are curious about anything, just send a message. :)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Do you have a recording of your arrangement available? Even just a MIDI? I'd be interested in hearing it.

There's a clear logic to what you have done, of course, in that a condensed ensemble version of a saxophone concerto ought to be most appealing to saxophonists. Still, I wonder how an average quartet would respond to a suggestion that three members be reduced to accompanists while the leader plays an elaborate 15-minute solo. Sure, the soprano or first alto often has the lead line in a sax quartet, but not usually to this extent. Have you received any feedback from working quartets?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts