Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to show off my Conn DJH Modified Keilwerth stencil Tenor today.
I have become totally addicted to vintage Keilwerth tenors, they are simply awesome, free blowing, dynamic, colorful as any saxophone I've ever played including the very finest Selmers, superior ergos for smaller hands. They blow pretty much everything else away at this price point. IMO unless you get a particularly great one,new Selmers cannot remotely touch these old Keilwerths and even then these horns have much more guts and glory. Real rolled tone holes, and these horns have some strange reputation as being built like "tanks" but this is absolutely not the case. They are actually quite lightweight horns with amazingly comfortable ergos. The posts are all individually soldered onto the body, so there is NO ribbing, and the keywork is not big and bulky like on my Taiwanese tenors and newer Selmer. The ultimate "tank" tenor has got to be a clunky, heavy and doddering Selmer Mk Vll.

This is my Keilwerth Couf Superba 1 stencil. It is such a tremendous instrument. A treasure. Its a massive ton of saxophone for the $. I paid $1700 and then had it overhauled. Since these pics were taken it has received a complete overhaul with the original resos. I play 1960s Keilwerth Bundy Specials (no high F#), This mid 1980s Conn DJH Modified tenor and I have a couple of P. Mauriat tenors that are killers too. All purchased used for ridiculously little money.

So for those who are curious about these German Naked Ladies, here you go.

IMG_4162.jpg IMG_4175.JPG

Full gallery:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOpxlToXOme10WO8x2B6ft2rE-b96Ls5FDD8Qvwf0io3ajop4Pe5fb4I6yy4LD9_Q?key=YlZQVTVBRHdvLWFpS2tWMUdWdk96YWxENkNYUDhR

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Curious what your thoughts are on the DJH vs. the Bundy Special? I recently purchased a Bundy Special but have always been interested in the DJH horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are comparable in terms of tone, response, intonation and response, and overall fun and playability, but very different animals. The Bundy Special has no high F#. The the DJH modified is 20 years newer and is more refined, more reminiscent of an early Vl digit Mark Vl. It is somewhat more compact, has more power and is bigger louder than the Bundy Special. But the Bundy Special no less of a treasure. It is a beautiful, more intimate thing more like an SBA, which generally don't have the big power of a great Mk Vl, but the Bundy Special has that beautiful sort of woody texture in the sound like a great SBA. Very wonderful, free blowing and fun modern tenors that play many $1000s above their price point. The Bundy Special also gets the edge for more comfortable ergos.

These Bundy Special Keilwerth 1960s stencils were originally sold without resonators, and they are fairly dead with the original pads without the resos. Once you overhaul them and put good pads with proper resos the difference is massive, it is night and day. These horns really come to life. And that's any resos, because I have two Bundy Specials in playing condition here, one with domed metal resos and one with plastic resos and they are virtually identical to my ears.

Both of these tenors are crucial parts of my tenor arsenal. I love them both equally.

Curious what your thoughts are on the DJH vs. the Bundy Special? I recently purchased a Bundy Special but have always been interested in the DJH horns.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love those older Keilwerths too. I play a 1978 Couf Superba ll tenor and a 1986 Keilwerth SX. I like SX for Jazz and Big Band music, and the ll for R&B and rock. I find the intonation on the SX slightly better. I also love my Superba l, but I just had the ll overhauled, so it sits.,,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts