1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Max Mathews has always been one of my hero's!
The man had such vision and innovation! Sadly, this past April, he no longer
walks this planet.

Edgard Varese stated in 1920,
I dream of instruments obedient to my thought and which with their contribution of a whole new world of unsuspected sounds, will lend themselves to the exigencies of my inner rhythm

It's a shame that Varese had to wait so long before his own vision could be realized by someone named Mr. Max Mathews!

Another important individual in this field is John Chowning.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As much as I love computer music, I can not watch this video.
Yeah, I hear ya.
I've actually seen it a few times. Naturally you could skip ahead to Max, John Chowning, etc.
Geez, I didn't think anyone would actually watch the whole thing. I helped make it free to access because who knows, someone
may actually find it interesting in accordance with this thread.

What would make you state that you cannot watch it? What's the point in that? Ah, messageboards.....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,

Are you the one that wrote the blog?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is very important! Mr. Chowning is the person who invented FM synthesis. Without him, there would not have been Dance music, and no 'Tutu' by Miles Davis. (no Weather Report, and so on...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation_synthesis.

At about 30' Mr. Chowning talks about his invention, and how he combined the work of Mr. Mathews on attack and envelop of tones. They seem so modest about their inventions that changed the world completely. Nice to see them in person on this video. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts