Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my epiphany of how much I try, my 1st chair, despite his arrogance and selfishness, he is always the favorite student. I know for a fact that he only cares about being first chair and being on top of everyone else.

I know for a fact he doesn't really care much any more and I posted in a post a while back referring to him to be obnoxiously playing harmonies or usually what's not written on the music. And I dropped his contagious habit and started to really do what's is written in the music and not follow his cruddy example of doodling and playing harmonies/tritones/etc.

Why is he still the director's favorite? I still don't get how he could just carelessly not practice and do stupid things during band, while I, the 2nd chair who is constantly practicing and cannot be able to get past him. Majority of the people say I deserve the first chair because of how he acts, and says I am better than him. But how come the directors would always choose him over me? I find that quite unfair.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I meant to put epiphany or I might have gotten off topic. But I guess my epiphany was no matter how much a 2nd chair can try, if the band director's favorite is your 1st chair, your never gonna get that spot in my school.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is the sudden realization or comprehension of the (larger) essence or meaning of something. The term is used in either a philosophical or literal sense to signify that the claimant has "found the last piece of the puzzle and now sees the whole picture," or has new information or experience, often insignificant by itself, that illuminates a deeper or numinous foundational frame of reference.

This doesn't sound like you had an epiphany as you are asking a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet a bunch of questions.............we don't have the answers either. Maybe your band director does. Why not ask him?

·
13,072 Posts
I don't think I meant to put epiphany or I might have gotten off topic. But I guess my epiphany was no matter how much a 2nd chair can try, if the band director's favorite is your 1st chair, your never gonna get that spot in my school.
Tell the band director you want to challenge the first chair for his spot. Let the director set the criteria and then...............battle! Come back and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell the band director you want to challenge the first chair for his spot. Let the director set the criteria and then...............battle! Come back and let us know what happens.
well I do have a challenge this week, but due to my 1st chair being himself, after about a day of the notice about the challange, he got the director to change the music to one of our state etudes which he clearly knows I cannot beat him with.

·
13,072 Posts
well I do have a challenge this week, but due to my 1st chair being himself, after about a day of the notice about the challange, he got the director to change the music to one of our state etudes which he clearly knows I cannot beat him with.
Well, speak up man. If he already knows the tune and you don't tell the director that and get a piece that neither of you know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts

If you can't beat him, you can't beat him. He's better than you, that's why he's 1st chair. Does he noodle and fool around during performances? I'll bet he gets serious when the time comes.
Although I have never met him, if he's anything like me, Neff probably was foolin'-around-wise-acre during band rehearsals in high school ... doesnt mean he sucked.
Your gripe is personal, not musical.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,154 Posts
It's called LIFE. Better get used to it. Just do your best, maintain your integrity and do not allow other people to determine your destiny.
Try being observant of how the 1st chair interacts with the director. He's doing something that makes the director like him (probably unconsciously on 1st chairs part and the teacher's part). Then once you figure out what moves the director try a little on him and see if he responds.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,154 Posts
>>>>well I do have a challenge this week, but due to my 1st chair being himself, after about a day of the notice about the challange, he got the director to change the music to one of our state etudes which he clearly knows I cannot beat him with. <<<<<<<

I guess you just answered your own question. He's 1st chair because he's a better player than you. If you want 1st chair no one's going to give it to you. Whining about how 1st chair goofs around and how the teacher likes him better won't do it for you. You have to do the work and take it away from him.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I cannot beat him with.
Can't you?

If this is music he already knows and you don't then it's unfair. If you both have been provided with the material at the same time and he plays it better than you do, well, suck it up man.

Even if you can't "beat" him, you should cram as much practicing time as you can and try. That's how you get good.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It happens. Sometimes it's because a student is the student of some "well known" teacher, even though the other kids is working his *** off and might be better.

In fact, I have an oboe student who obviously should be 1st chair but the band director is not putting him there simply because last year he didn't do band because of a scheduling conflict. There really is no other reason. This kid plays leagues better than the kid playing 1st.....but politics has damned him.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,368 Posts
Ok, Time to bring out "Mean Bandmommy"

Being a complaining crybaby about how much the teacher likes him isn't doing you any good.
The only way you are going to beat this jerk is to lock yourself in the shed and practice your M'er F'n butt off.
You have to get so good that no matter how much the teacher likes this guy he will have to give you the chair.
So it's up to you. You can grow some balls and do what needs to be done, or you can sit in second chair for the rest of your High School carreer and pout.

A little FYI... The ones who say you should be there instead of the 'jerk' are only blowing sunshine up your butt so they don't hurt your feelings. :bluewink:

So, what are you going to do? Sit with your lip out so far that a little birdie could poop on it, or get your butt in the shed?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Ok, Time to bring out "Mean Bandmommy"

Being a complaining crybaby about how much the teacher likes him isn't doing you any good.
The only way you are going to beat this jerk is to lock yourself in the shed and practice your M'er F'n butt off.
You have to get so good that no matter how much the teacher likes this guy he will have to give you the chair.
So it's up to you. You can grow some balls and do what needs to be done, or you can sit in second chair for the rest of your High School carreer and pout.

A little FYI... The ones who say you should be there instead of the 'jerk' are only blowing sunshine up your butt so they don't hurt your feelings. :bluewink:

So, what are you going to do? Sit with your lip out so far that a little birdie could poop on it, or get your butt in the shed?

:tsk: :mrgreen:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Can you beat the bari player?

2nd best spot (and may be the first) in a big band sax section is bari. Not only do you get interesting lines to play that make musical sense, but they are often completely independent from the rest of the section. Sort of a section of 1, if you will.

Worth a thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,368 Posts
Should I have said to grow some boobs? :scratch:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that the challenge music should be a piece neither of you have seen so it is an equal playing field. If you are better player, then you should win the challenge, if not, just face the fact the other person did better than you and get back to practicing. If the first chair player is just a jerk then so be it...they just may be a talented jerk. Bandmommy does make some very good life lesson points...life isnt always fair. I will say this, no matter how talented the first chair player is, if his playing of things other than what is written in the music is counter productive to the other players, then you need to address it with the director, as it is not helping matters. If the director does nothing, then its on them and you just need to focus on playing and getting better. I would recommend staying focused on playing and not getting caught up in the personality issues...you will find there are talented jerks in life that you will wonder why they should have all that talent if they are such a jerk. I can always respect the talent a person has eventhough I may detest them as a person.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts