Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 15 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,340 Posts
I have done a review about the Emeo. The Emeo is designed to be a practice horn. It wasn't designed to be a performance instrument or replacement of the traditional saxophone...
Is it a review or a commercial?

You can use the Emeo for the performance playing as well. I am not sure if you could watch my video, but I actually talked about it. Anyway, I will soon make another video where I will show again the potential of the Emeo. Seems to me that people still don't understand what they could do with the Emeo and how useful instrument it actually is.
Well, is it a practice instrument or a performance instrument? If you are to be the company spokesperson, make a consistent message.

I could talk to the Emeo team and they are not interested in producing on a massive scale. So I wouldn't worry about their future.
Then perhaps you don't need to press their product to a saxophone forum that you previously had no interest in.

I'm sure some people will be interested in getting the Emeo.
If you could see my video, I play a hand made alto saxophone by Amsterdam Winds. This is an expensive but magical instrument. And here is the same situation, the company is also not interested to produce on a large scale, but to create something unique. I'm actually really interested in seeing the future of the Emeo. The people who built this practice instrument are highly intelligent, technical experts and musicians. For those who doesn't know, The Emeo is made in Israel, in one of the most innovative countries in the technology.
Why should the country of origin matter? And if it does, what is the heritage and tradition of the saxophone in Israel?

Now, when it goes to practice space, I live in the house isolated by the nature in Norway. I can play as a wish, but I like the idea to play outside after the Covid is over (always at home is tiring) or just enjoy my day and practice in the late afternoon with the Emeo. It's not only about a silent practice. The Respiro included with the Emeo is a very innovative software too! It's a very interesting tool for music production and for the performance playing too.
Again, I suggest you make your message consistent.

Guys, no offense, but since I have posted my video, I have received lots of messages from people with no background in science, engineering or at least some interest in innovative technology.
FWIW, I have background in science, engineering, and innovation. I applaud Emeo's creation, but question some of their decisions. True, I have not played it, but I would observe a couple of opportunities that are evident right away. Given the price of necks that don't require high precision in their internal geometry, I suggest incorporating an alto sax neck and dropping the straight-neck interface. An oversized sop that weighs more than a real horn is not going to have the correct angles to mimic good practice ergonomics. I also suggest that they find a way to adjust the air flow resistance. This instrument looks like it has a very small port, similar to the Yamaha devices, and that back pressure is one of the downsides to me of playing instruments like these.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying a new reality as a saxophonist. The digital practice horn, which makes me save time, money, easy to take anywhere. In Norway Spring is here, temperatures are rising and I can't wait to sit down with my Emeo in our garden, watching birds and playing (silently!)
If 1550$ is too expensive for you, well let me say, there are girls going wild for the designer bags and shoes paying double, even triple price of the Emeo. Some people also want a quality, instead of some kind plastic piece of instrument. (no offense)
You said, at the higher price you would rather buy another saxophone. And what's the point to get another loud saxophone ? Where is the progress or the solution?
Consider your messaging. Are you trying to target musicians or girls buying pretty playthings? This is offensive (no offense).

P.S. I see from a very brief web search that you seem to sell yourself as a saxophone influencer. I wish that women could represent a product without displaying themselves in such makeup and clothing (no offense).

38,340 Posts
The principal subject here is the Emeo and Respiro software.
Since I posted the review about the Emeo, I had the read the most stereotypes and sexist assumptions based on my look. People seem unable to remain focused on the subject, which is the Emeo and they are questioning whenever I am good enough to make a review.
It's absolutely ridiculous. There are other people doing videos, but because there are not female musicians, it's ok!
I have several videos on my YouTube. This is my 3td review.
If something is great, I will recommend it.
For me to make a video about the Emeo was the chance to introduce this fantastic instrument.
I didn't receive any payment for making this video.
I will make another video in the near future, because I love the Emeo. Definitely, I will not post my upcoming video in the group of people unable to remain focused on the topic, and bring to the conversation my fashion outfits. Hopefully, someone looking like a potato will make a review in the near future, so you can learn more about this fantastic instrument.
You don't get it, Felicity. You are the one making the "review" into a fashion statement. Let's see if you can sell a product without the "fashion". Show us that a female musician can sell her music regardless of how much of her body she shows. Can you play as good as a man, or is "fashion" compensating for talent?

38,340 Posts
Are you a fashion expert? Why nobody is asking me about the Emeo, or about the Imoxplus Respiro? You said that you have experience in the scientific field, but you seem to me incapable of concentrating on the subject.
Yes, I do have a lifetime of experience in the scientific field, and much of that time was spent mentoring young women trying to have their voices heard, and earning parity in a field dominated by men. It is tough for women to be respected for their talents and skills. Can a woman be taken seriously?

For your information, I could wear a potato bag and look classy. I apologize for your disappointment, but I am European. We like to look and smell good.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I posted my video with an intention to give some information to the people who are interested about the world's first digital practice horn and Imoxplus Respiro.
If it weren't for the pandemic, I would be touring and I certainly wouldn't have had time to make videos.
I don't doubt that you could rock a potato sack. I wonder if your music would sell as well on the radio.

38,340 Posts
I have made some technical comments. Can you respond to the perceived air resistance of the Emeo? Is it, for instance, comparable to a moderate tip opening and medium strength reed of a sop? Could it be adjusted to provide air resistance similar to your alto sax?

38,340 Posts
From your question, I understand that you didn't watch my video or didn't pay attention, because I explained in my video that, the Emeo allows to adjust resistance. The Emeo has three possible settings. Soft, medium and hard. It comes with a standard alto sax mouthpiece,and special, flexible, antibacterial mouthpiece, but you can also use your own mouthpiece or blow without any mouthpiece at all.
Perhaps you should read my question. I asked you to compare the perceived resistance to a real instrument that we might be familiar with. Soft/medium/hard is not very descriptive in absolute terms - a free-blowing oboe is still more resistant than a stuffy tuba.

38,340 Posts
I thought you were a fashion expert.
The Emeo is made for saxophone players. I think everyone can imagine how soft, medium, and hard reeds could be. It's basically the same. I use medium resistance with the Emeo, compared to the conventional saxophone it corresponds to 2 and half reeds.
If you want more information, please visit Specs & Manual | The Emeo
You can find the instructional video and manual.
If I were a snarky person, I might say that I thought you were a saxophone player. I make no posture about being a fashion expert. This is a saxophone forum.

Surely you have experienced the difference in resistance between a soprano and an alto sax - even with the same reed strength, the resistance is different. And you would also know that a 2 1/2 reed can feel very different depending on the choice of mouthpiece.

Regarding the Emeo size - it looks very similar to the body of an alto sax. Yes, I saw that you measured its overall length. Could you compare it to your alto to see if the key spacing is the same? I find it hard to believe that Emeo would reinvent a mechanism that is neither sop or alto. Have they shared with you where they source their mechanism? I wonder if they actually make the entire body and mechanism, or buy them elsewhere and fit their own electronics.

38,340 Posts
Has anyone determined whether there can be user-assigned fingerings? As far as altissimo practice goes, I agree that the squeaking of beginning altissimo is to be avoided - but most of altissimo playing comes from controlling the airstream, and that is lost here. Alt fingerings vary from horn to horn, alto to tenor, etc., so it would be real nice if the user could at least program the fingerings that they need to reinforce.

Reactions: mmichel

38,340 Posts
Playing fast covers up the issue. Play slow argeggios or sequences of large intervals (not octaves) without articulation to show whether this sensitivity is an issue. Is was one of the things that I did not like with my WX7. I hear the glitches in your example of playing without a mouthpiece.

38,340 Posts
Has anyone learned where the bodies/keywork are manufactured?

38,340 Posts
Reactions: Alex Nyman

38,340 Posts
I informed the administration about your behavior on this forum. I don't think you are interested in the topic, but you are here to escalate conflicts and bully me. I asked for a removal of all my messages , included replies to it.
I think it would be fair to delete all this discussion , so the members genuinely interested in this topic could start their conversation again. Naturally, I will never ever again enter any internet forum. It was a very awful experience.
... and I am still waiting to learn where the bodies and mechanism of this practice device are sourced. Please suggest to the designers that pitch bending via lip control, as implemented on the Yamaha instruments, is a desirable feature for a wind emulator.

Reactions: Pete Thomas

38,340 Posts
As I mentioned, I asked the administration for the removal of all my messages and conversations related to it.
You will have to ask this question to other members. I will no longer participated in this conversation.
Understood. You avoided answering the question before, and I do not expect that to change.

Be well.

Reactions: Alex Nyman

38,340 Posts
Hi Felicity My Emeo has developed a fault and I am unable to play it. Are you able to able help me? Soon as I plug it in It plays one continuous long note. I tried a reset but it does not work. I tried reinstalling the software that does not work either. When I press the comand key it will go quiet but as soon as I press a key it will play one continuous note on full volume again.
Sorry to hear that your Emeo has failed.

Felicity has been banned from this website, so you will have to contact Emeo support through other means.

38,340 Posts
No, Respiro is not designed to emulate real saxphone.

If you want “Real” saxophone then you might consider to invest in AudioModeling Audio Modeling | SWAM and Sound Engine Technologies
Audio Modeling | SWAM and Sound Engine Technologies
Expressive Virtual Instruments and Live Performance Software. SWAM is a new-generation technology that enables musicians, performers, and composers to expand their creativity.
audiomodeling.com
Does AudioModeling make a physical interface, or are their products exclusively software?

1 - 14 of 15 Posts