Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
No way to tell from the serial number. Need photos and dimensions from the bottom of the bow to the top of the tenon to determine if it's a C or Bb tenor. I don't know of any Elkharts that aren't Buescher stencils.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
Need a photo or link to it. If you have it around, measure the body and if it is 24-26" without the neck, it is a C Melody. 28+" for a tenor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found my answer. The sax is 24" bottom of bow to top of body, making it a C Melody. I suspected so as the neck has an unusually high curve. I am still wondering about the unusual serial number with the dash.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
It appears to be mid-late 20s so perhaps the -28 is the year. Also look at how small and tight to the body the bell is. The overall look is C Melody. Still would be a nice one if you were looking for a C.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,366 Posts
at its current price, you can't go wrong! However, stencils and cheaper lines, often times , followed a different serial number chart. Elkhart and Buescher were, at one time, two separate entities and Buescher later on (1926..........which could be very well around the time this horn was made) acquired the Elkhart company.

·
8,588 Posts
It's a C-mel for certain and it's seems like a Buescher horn because of what I can see of the spatula kesy, although the octave mechanism doesn't look right.

BTW, that neck's been pulled down and damaged.

·
40,366 Posts
The neck appears to be ok to me , why does it look pulled down to you?

·
8,588 Posts
Perhaps it's the way it's photographed, but it appears to droop down a few degrees from what should be a 90 deg. angle to the tenon. Top of the crook doesn't look quite right to me either -- slightly squashed. Could just be a trick of the photography I guess.

·
40,366 Posts
to me, it looks normal

·
8,588 Posts
ok. Doesn't look like mine, but perhaps yours is different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
That octave mech looks unlike any I've come across on Buescher C stencils, or any others for that matter, almost looks like part of a twin-key arrangement... Either VERY early, or a bit unique.

Interesting !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts