Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been playing off and on for about 20 years and lately in the search of something better/ different I've been waffling between a Meyer and a Runyon
Model 22. I was wondering what is the difference between these two mouthpieces?
I seem to more or less get my 'sound' out of either one. The Model 22 has a higher arching Beak and the internal shape seems to be more squeezed like a Brillhart.
I notice the sound seems to come out of a different place in my hearing vs. The Meyer as well. Are these two pieces drastically different?

Here are some you tube samples:
Model 22

Meyer Custom

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention the Meyer is opened to .80, the Runyon is .77 ish.
I primarily play in an acoustic blues group and community big band these days.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um...anyone?...anyone...Bueller?...

Specifically I'm just wondering the difference in the the chamber shapes and baffle height with regards to response.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Your embouchure and how you play will be a bigger factor determining your sound than the choice between these two mouthpieces. There are good and bad examples of each mouthpiece. So if you just pick one of each to compare, it is a coin flip as to which one will have better response. That is mostly a facing quality issue.

The Meyer is a more popular mouthpiece recommendation. This is mostly based on a vast number of great past artists playing on them. But the current production Meyers vary in quality and even the vintage ones for sale vary.

The Runyon is a tad brighter as you can hear in the video. If you think you naturally sound too dark, try the Runyon 22. If you think you sound too bright, try the Meyer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm wondering what design-wise makes them different and how does that affect sound?
It's funny too, when I'm playing the Runyon it sounds darker to me. definitely less buzzy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably more used to the Runyon at this point anyway and I think the Meyer is a bit more than I need tip wise.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Is this you in the videos? Do you own both of these?

If you own them just place them side-by-side and look inside them and note the differences. Look at the baffle, sidewalls and throat area. But as I said, response does not depend on these as much as it does on the facing curve.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again mojo!Yep, that's me in the vids. Looking into the two, the Meyer is a lot larger- The sidewalls are thinner by far and and the throat has no punch through on the meyer. The model 22 has thicker sidewalls by far and the throat is squeezed. The sound seems to come from two different places gaging from my inner head hearing. It's almost just semantics. Both great pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
The Runyon sounds like only a piece of plastic could. The Meyer is probably leaking a bit from a poor reface. I almost want to send you my spare RPC rollover to wake you from your dogmatic slumber...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
You're also playing them on 2 different models of Conns. I'd like to hear what they sound like, on the same song, with the same sax. Better comparo in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts