Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Do you love Tenor battles as much as I do? I don't know why but there is
just something about being in a Jazz club and having two Tenorman or woman go to battle. (Off course in a friendly fun competition type of spirit :D).

So I thought maybe it would be a cool idea to collect all the best Tenor battles in this thread (video or audio). So I'll start things of with two of my favorites:

1: John Coltrane & Stan Getz: Hackensack (Rifftide)

2: Sonny Rollins Quintet with John Coltrane - Tenor Madness

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Lots of good ones in this thread.

This clip from Altman's Kansas City is fun, Redman and Craig Handy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tenor battles are boring.
I think people only neg about things on forums when they don't have anything better to do and are very boring themselves ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Very nice clip indeed. they seem to be having a lot fun and high energy. Love the two very different styles clashing :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tenor battles...what an ugly expression. I though musicians are supposed to cooperate and play together.
I did mention... (Off course in a friendly fun competition type of spirit ) :D After all it's a tradition :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Tenor battles...what an ugly expression. I though musicians are supposed to cooperate and play together.
Relax, it's just a term. No real saxophonists were injured to make this recording. And it's a tradition in other types of music as well — how about "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and "Dueling Banjos"?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

Good one! I actually got to see that band at Massey Hall when they were on their live tour. It was all a bit over cooked, but the playing was ridiculous. Also, it was one of the few times I've been to Massey Hall and thought the sound was really good.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Great thread!
I was inspired to start one on the great C-Melody sax battles, but I am having a bit of a hard time finding material... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
tenor battles are boring.
Are you joking right??[rolleyes]
see joshua vs james carter.. it it everything but not boring..
even my bother, a jazz guitar player, when listen was like...:yikes!:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts