Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After watching the video, I seriously have to see him live
It's a shame his recordings are not as amazing as the live performances, but that's probably due to the constraints of recording
Also a shame he hasn't released a record recently.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
After watching the video, I seriously have to see him live
It's a shame his recordings are not as amazing as the live performances, but that's probably due to the constraints of recording
Also a shame he hasn't released a record recently.
I totally agree, the band doesn't sound nearly as good live as they do in the studio.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
There are some who would say he has no soul, to which I respond: NAY NAY. Just the acapella section at the beginning drips soul.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Great! Thanks for posting this!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
There are some who would say he has no soul, to which I respond: NAY NAY. Just the acapella section at the beginning drips soul.
Well, he's got a soulful sound but he is also very technical, and I think that's why people get this impression.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Have you noticed he seems to be using his VI in amplified settings and his SBA in acoustic's? Any idea why? That one time I saw him play this masterclass, he was also playing on his SBA (acoustic setting)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had no intention of watching the whole thing when I started, but I just watched it from beginning to end. What an interesting, well made video. The interplay between process and outcome was fascinating. Thanks for posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,127 Posts
Fascinating. The music and the talk in between pieces addresses a whole range of topics that are continually discussed here on SOTW, things like: 21st century jazz and group improvisation and free jazz, playing scales over chords (they don't), what and how to practice, and so on. The level of musicianship for all players is extremely high. And it's a 4-piece — sax, keyboard, guitar, drums, no bass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fascinating. The music and the talk in between pieces addresses a whole range of topics that are continually discussed here on SOTW, things like: 21st century jazz and group improvisation and free jazz, playing scales over chords (they don't), what and how to practice, and so on. The level of musicianship for all players is extremely high. And it's a 4-piece — sax, keyboard, guitar, drums, no bass.
I think not having a bass is one of the major aspects as to why they sound so interesting, at some point in time, anyone in the group could be playing bass functions
The level of cooperation is amazing to me, if I can obtain even half their listening abilities I would die happy :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
Combos rehearse tunes! Take note!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts