Sax on the Web Forum banner

the cecilio clarinet please reply

17K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  SimonJazzSax 
#1 ·
Has anybody ever heard of the cecilio clarinets? and if any of you guys have, can you guys tell me the pros and cons about it?

#4 ·
Carl H. said:
You said please , so here is a reply.
I thought he wanted the clarinet to reply, not you.

#7 ·
Last week, I noticed one of my beginning fifth graders had a Cecilio clarinet. I will see this student and his clarinet this Thursday. I will see if I can get it to reply.

Steve

#10 ·
fuzzywuzzy said:
Has anybody ever heard of the cecilio clarinets? and if any of you guys have, can you guys tell me the pros and cons about it?
From the looks it is yet another of those Far East instruments. I don't say they are all good or all bad; obviously a lot depends on how much effort was put into the finish. Then again, a $120 instrument (from Amazon, for example) can't have a lot of time put in its finish, given the long food chain behind such imports.
If I had a $120 budget, I'd probably buy a Bundy or a Vito for 20$ and have it "done" for another $100.
(before everyone jumps at me - I know that a good overhaul probably costs more, but for putting it into operable conditions, $100 would be at least a start. Clarinuts are selling those clunkers for $150 up and I guess they still make a modest profit)

#11 ·
Cecilio is one of the least expensive of the Chinese brand instruments that have recently flooded the market. At $79.00 new on E Bay, a Cecilio clarinet costs about 1/10 as much as a reputable, well made, student model clarinet such as a Vito or Yamaha. Do the math to compare the basic quality and value.

I have only seen one of the Cecilio clarinets and two of the Cecilio saxes come to our shop. Other than tightening a pivot screw or putting a spring back on we generally decline working on this quality of instrument because we cannot warranty our repairs due to the poor quality of the materials, and to properly repair the instrument far exceeds its value in most cases.

If you hate your local band teacher, send your kid to band with a Cecilio clarinet and have him try to get your student to play in tune with the others in the clarinet section. If you really hate him have the kid use the mouthpiece that came with the instrument. :twisted:

My advice is to get a used Vito, Yamaha, or Bundy in good condition and have a good shop go through it. A Vandoren 5RV, B45, or Fobes Debut mouthpiece is a good addition although the plastic Yamaha 4C is not a bad beginner's mouthpiece.

John

#13 ·
I did buy one of the cecilio clarinets for my daughter that started in band this year, I only wanted to spend a small amount cause I didn't know if she would want to stay with the instrument or no. The band teacher said it had good sound and I haven't had any problems with it but my daughter is very respectful of it also and doesn't make stupid mistakes like standing it up on end. I have also owned two bundy student clarinets that I have had reconditioned from one of my other children and they haven't held up as well.
My daughter that is playing the cecilio is thinking of moving onto a bass clarinet now. I also have bought some cecilio cellos that have held up very well, I figure when the children are done abusing them I will give them away to someone else, in the meantime I'm not in the poor house.

#14 ·
Sorry "mom29" but I have seen and played a cecelio clarinet and saxophone, and they are without a doubt the two worst excuses for musical instruments I have ever attempted to play. A good way to be absolutely certain your student will NOT stay with an instrument is to start them out with a bad instrument, while something decent will at least have resale value.

I am glad you were not my mother. Done correctly, music can be a lifetime hobby for someone. Done the way you seem to think is the right way, it will be something that the kids feel obligated to do for a couple of years, never to be touched again.

#15 ·
I'm with you on this one DS.
The ones I've seen are at best 'clarinet shaped objects'. The quality of workmanship is poor, and intonation.....Pitchy as a Pine tree.
If I can't make one play in tune, there's no way a beginner can.

#16 ·
They make excellent lamps when you add wire, a light socket, a light bulb and a electrical plug. They will last forever in this configuration.

As a clarinet, they are slightly better than an oboe, but not much better. They have a playing life of six months before things start to go horribly wrong. They are some of the smallest bore clarinets I have ever seen. They are plastic, keys included. At $80.00, these are overpriced by$79.95.

If you are desperate for a clarinet and money is tight, save yourself the aggravation of buying one of these things and go cut down a tree and build your own. You can't make a clarinet worse than these.

#18 ·
+1 to what the others said above.
They are similar to the largo clarinets.

Ask Dogpants about his adventure in trying to fix one
for one of his students

For about 1.5 times what you paid for the ceilio you could have got a
good condition B12, ycl250 or similar model.

Any of these will last and stand up to more abuse than any throw away instrument and parts are available if needed.

#22 ·
Your analogy of buying better than may seem good in your perpective.
Now, listen to mine, which is very logical -
If you can run a backhoe that is all worn out, it has more than 18" of slop because the bushings and pins are worn so badly.
If you can make it dig and make it do most anything you want it to - Just think how well you will be when you get on a brand new machine!

The same is also true with the off beat off the wall instrument that is way less than a top name brand. True, it is not a horner, it is not Vito or a Yamaha - both play a tune and both have the same function. Right or wrong?

Yes, I ran a backhoe, I ran it professionally under Union Contract and I learned on a very slopp machine that you could not have on Union Job Sites. I had the worst and learned to run on one of thee worst machines - but, when I got on a new machine - wow! luxury! But, I could run it like a real pro. WHY?

I believe that if you always have the best in life, when you get a junker, you will not know how to function, it will be a heavy burden, both physically and mentally.

Did you start out on a $3500 dollar Clarinet, or was it a bit worn, not a name brand?

I feel very sorry for you, sorry that you don't have the insight to see good in the not so good.....60 years of life has been a good teacher - hard knox are sometimes the best teaching one can get.

#23 ·
I think what you need to do, is do some study on ABS plastics. ABS is a heck of a lot stronger than you might think and will take a lot of beating. Donm't think so? most of the grills on vehicles of today have ABS on them. Many of the heater housings are also made of this tough plastic - How do I know? I ran a Injection Press back in the mid 70's and I made many parts made of ABS. I worked for AMC..... I have taken junk grills that for one reason or another the injection didn't get all areas and was back to the grinding dept (recycle the ABS).
I've thown them hard, trying to break it - (smaller pieces) to fit into the recycler bins.
So, I have known of ABS for quite some time.......I have also read up on this material as the use in musical instruments as Ebonite is getting more of a thing of the past - as to intonation, it is as good, if not better than the ebonite, many of the Yamaha and other top name brands also use (oops) ABS - sorry people.

Trust me, ABS is a lot more forgiving and a lot stronger than you might think and it will take some very hard abuse. I've seen hammers bounce off the stuff and never crack and then other times a deer hits it in the cold and it shattered like glass with very sharp edges.

As for playing the instrument - no, never have, have i seen a ABS instrument, not that I am aware of. I only know of the plastic resineous material; called ABS. And I know what I have read from others who have had a lot of experience with ABS Instruments who play on a professional level as well as music teachers who claim them to be good and play well.

My curiosity got me to do a lot of study reading a lot of reviews and knowing the substance as being very tough.

Everyone has their idea - and some who think they have something other than and never do know. By the way, Yamaha makes Insturments from ABS as wel as many other high end name brands - do your home work. I did....

#25 ·
Oh? really? do you have at least 40 years of marriage with the same female? I do.... Our home is paid for, the vehicles we drive are also paid for, my Jeep, I paid cash for it - as well as all 4 Mercedes Benz cars I've onwed in the past. I guess I have had a good life. oops same female too hummmm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.