Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here play in a New Orleans style brass band? I've been with one in Annapolis for over a year now and have been having an absolute blast. The band has evolved from a rabble crashing your party to a fairly tight group; with sections, arrangements and mash-ups. We seem to be the only ones in our area doing this sort of thing as well, and the gigs are getting more regular (and better paying).

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else is doing this sort of thing and how are you pulling it off.

www.facebook.com/naptownbrassband

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
Your Facebook link is dead.
Hmmm, I'm seeing it - and I don't have a FaceBook account.

P.S. If you want to look "authentic", don't put your cell phone in your front pocket!

·
Registered
351 Posts
You doing stuff like the original incarnation of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band?

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,525 Posts
I play in 2 brass bands in Milwaukee, WI.

Extra Crispy Brass Band is a more traditional style 8 piece band with a front line of tenor, 2 trumpets, 2 bones, sousaphone, snare, and bass drum. We do the whole gamut of trads to funk,and covers and originals. We've got two albums out. You can find them on spotify, itunes, etc., and clips on our website...
http://www.extracrispybrassband.com/

Hot & Dirty Brass Band is more in the vein of Trombone Shorty's band. 3 horn front line (tenor, trp, bone), sousaphone, guitar, and drum set. No albums out yet for this band, but there is stuff on U-tube.
https://www.hotanddirtybrassband.com/

Good to see some other brass band players on here!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,924 Posts
I play in one here in Columbus Ohio, the Nacho Street Band. Nacho Stands for the Nationwide Children's Hospital Orchestra. Band plays all kinds of gigs all over town. We've got about 30 members but most gigs is about 12 members so we write all the charts flexibly so we always sound good and have fun!

Most everything we do goes to support the kids, we do it for the fun and the beer!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to see some other brass band players on here!
And your group has a great sound. Enjoyed the clips on your site.

You doing stuff like the original incarnation of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band?
Yeah, and actually Kirk Joseph has been mentoring the band for a while now. He comes up to Annapolis and does the St. Paddy's Day parade with us every year. We do a lot of Rebirth tunes, and have been adding our renditions of classic rock tunes to the arsenal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts