Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ian Dury and the Blockheads " I wanna be straight"

Wot an amazing band they were. Ian's incredible lyrics , Davey Payne on saxes
Wilco Johnson's genius, Chaz Jankel's great keys and writing, Micky Gallagher , John Turnbill, Charlie Charles, Norman Watt Roy

Great mix of English accents on this from Cockney to Geordie taking in Canvey Island on the way.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
I discovered The Blockheads in 1979 while perusing a local record store. Amazing band indeed.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
Wilco and Norman Watt Roy still gig together. They played at a club around the corner from me recently.
I think the LP I bought was Box Full of Frogs.

Its good to hear they are still alive and kickin':)

B

·
Registered
847 Posts
And, as an extra treat , the ever versatile, wonderful Jazz Alto player , Gilad Atzmon, also now plays with The Blockheads - can't be bad!

Blowhard2

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
And, as an extra treat , the ever versatile, wonderful Jazz Alto player , Gilad Atzmon, also now plays with The Blockheads - can't be bad!

Blowhard2
***?! Really. That would be mind blowing indeed. B

·
Registered
127 Posts
Coincidentally I was having a mini one person riot last night youtubing Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Lots of great stuff on there. Someone uploaded a concert from Stockholm 1980 in 5 parts (with Wilko instead of Jankel) that I got two parts through.

Awesome Live band. The very best live recording (for sheer rollicking and rolling. Not audio quality) that I have heard is "Straight from the Desk". Features an extended Davey Payne solo on Plaistow Patricia which kicks ash. Buy the album now!

Gilad Atzmon is a monster player, but Davey Payne reigns supreme for me. Davey with the Blockheads on TOTP is actually my first memory. As far as I recall. But then again it takes longer to get up north... The slow way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I liked it when you had some humour in music. Bands like Madness and Slade were good fun. What bands are there these days that would raise a smile - for the right reasons?

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
The Blockheads sound as good today as they did back then, and to be honest, I've really only come to appreciate how good they were in current times. I was heavily into the punk thing at the time and The Blockheads for me were an interesting sideshow.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
Ian and Blockheads were for hardcore music lovers in the USA. I was one of those Yanks who listened to English bands as much or more than American bands. The Jam, Graham Parker, Roxy Music, Eno, Blockheads, Pete Shelly. What an era!!!

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
Yes a great player. I like Davey though . His playing was always unpredictable and he had an edge, Big Roland Kirk influence.
More on Davey Payne at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Payne

I heard that Davey had a walk on part in the recent Ian Dury film and it involved standing at the urinal next to the actor playing ...... Davey Payne. Is that true ?

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
Yes a great player. I like Davey though . His playing was always unpredictable and he had an edge, Big Roland Kirk influence.
likewise... love gilad's work but Davey Payne's playing was, as you say, so quirky and distinctive- it fitted the musical context perfectly...... any man who played the double sax solo in 'Hit me with your Rhythm Stick' gets my vote for the pure eccentricity of it....

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No idea on that one Rhys I haven't seen it although I've heard it's good.. films about music usually make me cringe,go mad or chuck stuff. I do love the original Blockheads though. That generation of musicians were pretty special..too old and erudite to be " punks" still they had more attitude than most so called punks. Real Art music.

Your question reminded me of my old mate drummer Dave Palmer who just last week contacted me on Facebook after a million years. Dave was in ABC , The The.and my band and then he went off to the US and has been with Rod Stewart for decades.

When he did Top of the Pops with the Fine Young Canibals he was in the lav when David Bowie walked in. Palmer was a big fan and dumbstruck. Bowie stood at a urinal doing the business and said..... " So this is where all the big nobs hang out"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts