Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,055 Posts
Koen - well spotted that I'd 'tweeted it' (just to bookmark for me) and then facebook grabbed it... I guess I should have asked first ? Ooops...

As I said elsewhere "Lovely clip tho', at first you think "Is it just a busker ?" but then the guy launches into speed runs and harmonics ! There are other Martin C clips on Youtube, but that's the most informal, and the best. Thanks."

Classic case as well !

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,614 Posts
Thanks for that Koen.
The playing may not be brilliant....but what a sound.
The final proof, if needed, to those who claim that a Conn C has a tenoresque sound....no comparison.

4,000 Posts
Koen - well spotted that I'd 'tweeted it' (just to bookmark for me) and then facebook grabbed it... I guess I should have asked first ? Ooops...

As I said elsewhere "Lovely clip tho', at first you think "Is it just a busker ?" but then the guy launches into speed runs and harmonics ! There are other Martin C clips on Youtube, but that's the most informal, and the best. Thanks."

Classic case as well !
It looks like someone else (quite possibly the one who set up the video) asked this guy to play the horn, and it's not one he's used to. The player sounds like tenor is his regular horn, and both the tone and technique (and quite likely the mouthpiece as well) transfer over. In the case of altissimo, they only MOSTLY transfer. It sounds like he hasn't quite adjusted to the fact that G and G# require more alto-like fingerings. ;) (From A on up, both alto and tenor fingerings -- where they differ -- work just about equally well on C-mel.) I'm sure that if the guy was skeptical of the validity of the C-mel as a fully viable saxophone, he isn't any more.

If I couldn't see the horn, and perfect pitch didn't kick in to tell me palm F is indeed a palm key and not altissimo, I'd have thought this was a tenor and not a C-mel. Also, just about every jazz player noodling around on tenor pops a few (tenor) low Bs and Bbs, which are of course conspicuous by their absence. Maybe it's the narrower bore, but C-mel low Bbs don't automatically have the "pop" that alto or tenor low Bbs do, they're considerably easier to finesse out.

· Registered
611 Posts
The final proof, if needed, to those who claim that a Conn C has a tenoresque sound....no comparison.
Martins have a very nice sound, a tenor trapped in an alto body. I certainly plan to get a martin c one day here and fix it up.

I have heard a Conn C being played with a definite comparable tone... plus much better playing. A Conn Artist New Wonder C in gold none the less. Then again... the player was Al Mclean so thats probably mostly why.

6,614 Posts
Mal. Listening to it again I tend to agree. This was the first time that the chap had picked up the horn...the dialogue indicates that... &, as such, played it very well. Probably an accomplished tenor player suddenly presented with this horn.

2,055 Posts
...I have heard a Conn C being played with a definite comparable tone...
Nah... :tsk: Not in a trillion years.

Al McLean is a brilliant (if somewhat gentle and laid-back) player, with a very subtle choice of mouthpiece, but listen to him playing a Conn C, and then a Martin C, and even a tone-deaf drummer could tell the difference :mrgreen:

Then play both horns with what Capn. Beeflat refers to as a 'weapons grade' tenor mouthpiece, and prepare to be amazed :yikes!:

6,614 Posts
Nah... :tsk: Not in a trillion years.

Al McLean is a brilliant (if somewhat gentle and laid-back) player, with a very subtle choice of mouthpiece, but listen to him playing a Conn C, and then a Martin C, and even a tone-deaf drummer could tell the difference :mrgreen:

Then play both horns with what Capn. Beeflat refers to as a 'weapons grade' tenor mouthpiece, and prepare to be amazed :yikes!:
That pretty well says it all....no contest....agree 100%

2,055 Posts
That pretty well says it all....no contest....agree 100%
Capn. - can't have you agreeing with things 100%, what is the forum coming too ?
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.