Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To The Fore Publishers and Dr. Paul Cohen are pleased to announce the introduction of a new publication, The Altissimo Primer. This 44 page book is designed to help bridge the tonal and mechanical gap from the key range to the altissimo in a series of progressive exercises that span the two registers. Also included are discussions and acoustical definitions, with illustrations, of the altissimo, along with fingering charts, tonal matching exercises, and specific methodology for achieving a musical and artistic altissimo instead of simple note access. The cost is $15, including postage. This book is not yet on the website, but inquiries can be sent to [email protected].

This book is especially well suited to the serious player just beginning to explore this register, as well as the experienced performer in need of altissimo refinement. Many will find this the perfect supplement to the overtone/altissimo books already in use.

Paul Cohen

Below is the table of contents.

The Altissimo Primer​

Table of Contents

Preface . . . 2

Philosophies and Prerequisites . . . 4

Acoustics of the Altissimo . . . 6

Preliminary Exercises . . . 9

Scales and Arpeggios
Part 1 . . . 14

The Equality of Registers
Part II . . . 17
Part IIa . . . 21
Part IIb . . . 25

Cultivating an Artistic Altissimo
Part III. . . . 29
Part IIIa . . . 33
Part IIIb . . . 37

Altissimo Fingerings
PC’s Personal Picks . . . 41
Custom Chart . . . 42

Biography . . . 43​

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm in!

Angel

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, for the generous response to my book posting.
A fast way to order is through Paypal, at [email protected]

Also, checks can be sent to
Paul Cohen
82 Copley Avenue
Teaneck, NJ 07666

Cost is $15 (including postaage)

For out of country, cost is $19, for increased postage.

Paul Cohen

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Congats Paul. I've not seen an "Altissimo" book on the market for a few years...I've been waiting, however, for a super mega Altissimo fingering book which has fingering for ALL the saxes and has many hundred for the same note...because afterall there are only about, in total, 12-14 notes(g3-a4) in entire altissimo register(unless your some relative of the Rascher family--in which case it's most certainly twice that :) ) Seems quite doable right...Every teacher I've ever met had a different fingering for the altissimo notes...

At any rate, congrats again on the book--I"m sure it will be very interesting!!!

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nitrosax said:
Congats Paul. I've not seen an "Altissimo" book on the market for a few years...I've been waiting, however, for a super mega Altissimo fingering book which has fingering for ALL the saxes and has many hundred for the same note...because afterall there are only about, in total, 12-14 notes(g3-a4) in entire altissimo register(unless your some relative of the Rascher family--in which case it's most certainly twice that :) ) Seems quite doable right...Every teacher I've ever met had a different fingering for the altissimo notes...

At any rate, congrats again on the book--I"m sure it will be very interesting!!!

Thanks for your enthusiasm for the Altissimo Primer. I should further explain what it is and is not. The Primer is not a fingering compendium. It is a series of methods, with exercises, to help develop control over the altissimo, especially at the transition from key range and higher. I do include my personal fingerings for soprano and alto, (about 15 in all) but only up to high C, and this mostly as a reference Hopefully what will be learned from the book will encourage players to find and refine their own fingerings, used in conjunction with others. As a Primer, I did not set out to write an all encompassing method, but a focused introduction to integrating the altissimo with the rest of the instrument and its music.
Please let me know if you have other questions.

Paul Cohen

·
Registered
42 Posts
I honestly don't know if this is a good suggestion or how feasible it is, but maybe later on, make a cd or dvd of the excercises. Sometimes a sound is worth a million words (and a picture is worth a thousand word)

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Altissimo Primer erratta

Many thanks for the enthusiastic response to my Altissimo Primer. I hope that it is helping all who strive for a more responsive, functional higher register. I discovered several errors in the first publication run that have been corrected, and I thought to post them here for the use of those who initially purchased the book. Versions purchased today are corrected.

Paul Cohen

Erratta fingerings are from page 10. Part III erratta from page 32.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I have my copy. Thanks for the quick ship Paul. It looks very well writen. I hope to get some time to put it to work this coming week. Thanks for posting the corrections.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If we want to buy this do we just send you a paypal payment or do we need to contact you first to get something set up?

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SephirothTNH said:
If we want to buy this do we just send you a paypal payment or do we need to contact you first to get something set up?
You can send a paypal or check to me without prior contact. Please be sure to indicate what the payment is for.
The paypal address is: [email protected]

Many thanks to all for the positive comments I have received about the book.

Paul Cohen

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
This sounds awesome! I need one of these...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm a former student of Dr. Cohen's, and I must say Dr. Cohen is one of the best teachers I've had. At that time, he had a smaller version of the Altissimo Primer that he gave his students. With the Primer along with diligent practice, most of his students (myself included) had great success with the extended range. For example, when I started studying with him I already had a good altissimo range, but the Primer helped me solidify my technique and even the tone color of the ranges. Here I am a few years later, and I just won a concerto competition playing the Ibert Concertino da Camera and I played all the altissimo sections without much problem. I highly recommend any instructional materials published by Dr. Cohen.

-Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Paul,

I sent a Paypal payment through about 6 weeks ago for a copy. I've sent a few emails but haven't got a reply. Could you let me know what's going on?

Thanks,
Michael

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am having some trouble with getting the paypal notices in my email. Could you directly email me with your notice so I can send it right out?

Paul Cohen
[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts