Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started thinking about buying a new tenor sax about a year and a half ago, I got interested right away in the Yamaha 62 reissue tenor. This didn't go anywhere because, among other things, no one anywhere near me was stocking them.

Anyway, I still sort of wonder about that sax. I mean, I can sort of see the marketing parallel with the Selmer reissues, but I can't quite figure out what the point of this series actually was--and I still can't quite figure out whether these were good horns after all. What you almost always hear is that next level pro Yamahas are better--which is exactly my point: what's the niche? It seems like the Yamaha dealer in my town doesn't want to stock the 62s because they're hoping to sell the Zs or, failing that, make a much bigger profit on their Taiwanese house brand (Kreisler).

The other thing I wonder about is whether there aren't a bunch of these saxes sitting around somewhere waiting to become a great deal on a cheap but really playable modern horn--like a Yamaha Mark VII almost?

Just wondering.

R.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I would not go for a reissued 62! Look at the sale section here or put a post in the wanted section. With patience, proative communication, and dough, you will have a good 62 tenor!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Max Confusion - reissue?????

This is a brand new term to me - re-issue of what exactly???
The 62 II is a new(ish) horn and not a reissue of any previous horn.

Has anyone got a link which suggests that yamaha is re-issuing anything - or is this just another internet "chinese whispers" story.

Send three and fourpence - we're going to a dance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for any confusion. All I meant by "reissue" was that that the yts-62II horns are being marketed using a "reference" to the famous yts-62 series. The connection between the original and the reissue is all over the marketing.

Hey Saxymanzach: I don't doubt that they're good--in fact I remember the intial buzz being that they might even be very very good. My question is: where are they? As I said, when I looked into it last year, nobody in Canada was even stocking them?

Rory

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They are what almost anybody with a new 62 has in stock - the previous version went out of production over three years back.

P.S. - There were several changes to the "original" before even the removal of the Real M.O.P. touches - the model was, as far as I can tell, continuously developed over the twenty odd year production run.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
DougR said:
They are what almost anybody with a new 62 has in stock - the previous version went out of production over three years back.

P.S. - There were several changes to the "original" before even the removal of the Real M.O.P. touches - the model was, as far as I can tell, continuously developed over the twenty odd year production run.
I just noticed your sig for the first time. Funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts