Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted a new video (The 5 best songs to learn playing saxophone in public )including a fun saxophone challenge for this summer.
When I first started joining local sessions I found tune selection a real challenge. After a while I discovered some real gems that helped
me get into the gig scene. Hope these can now help others to do the same :)

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Tune selections at sessions is rough sometimes. The local jazz society has a monthly session with rotating hosts and there's a list of standard repertoire all hosts and regular members are supposed to know...yeah, not so much. Most of the tunes aren't even standards and the ones that are, most of the players don't know. I started a tune of the month challenge this year to expand the repertoire list and keep everyone learning...super frustrating when I show up for my turn to host and the other players often haven't even bothered to listen to the (incredibly easy and very much standard) tune of the month we're supposed to be playing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true, This is something that a lot of hosts and players experience (having hosted a session myself for 3 years I've seen it many times). That is one of the reasons
why I like the five songs in this challenge. They are not too hard to play, even if the band doesn't know them, If they are competent readers they can often manage :)
and they are all very nice and loved by audiences. It makes it easier for your local band to invest a little time in a song if they know its going to be popular ;) #5weeksaxchallenge

Tune selections at sessions is rough sometimes. The local jazz society has a monthly session with rotating hosts and there's a list of standard repertoire all hosts and regular members are supposed to know...yeah, not so much. Most of the tunes aren't even standards and the ones that are, most of the players don't know. I started a tune of the month challenge this year to expand the repertoire list and keep everyone learning...super frustrating when I show up for my turn to host and the other players often haven't even bothered to listen to the (incredibly easy and very much standard) tune of the month we're supposed to be playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
TL DW - what are the five best songs?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
TL DW - what are the five best songs?
I don't think there are "five best songs" but I guess you have to start somewhere...I also would bet if you asked 50 different players, you'd get 50 different answers.

Just curious, but what does 'TL' 'DW' mean??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Too Long Didn't Watch...it's a play on what all the kids are saying: TL DR meaning Too Long Didn't Read.

Btw, did you watch the video before commenting?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
Too Long Didn't Watch...it's a play on what all the kids are saying: TL DR meaning Too Long Didn't Read.

Btw, did you watch the video before commenting?
Ok, got it. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not really up on all the abbreviations (don't go on Facebook or any social media, beyond this site).

Yes, I watched it (the one in post #1). Some good basic info there for those getting into jazz and jazz jams. I might present it a bit differently, but appreciate JamesD taking the time to do it.

Here are the 5 tunes he mentioned:

Footprints
Mo Better Blues
Impressions
Equinox
Doxy

All great tunes, although I'd probably come up with 5 different ones, and everyone else would have their own list (which was my point, though not really a very helpful one). Regarding jams, I'd learn whatever tunes were being called at the jam; check it out first to find out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the next lesson: How to improvise over chords on the saxophone. A topic that many beginners really struggle with.
So here is my take on clarifying this mystical skill and some amazing exercises to do :) enjoy! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts