Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to understand why there's such an overall negative response to people on this forum who consider modifying the lacquer/plating on their horns. People always question their musical ability or their intelligence or who knows what else. [rolleyes]

It's like when someone learns "Giant Steps" or "Countdown" someone tells them, " now play it in all 12 keys". They always get a nasty remark in return. Why?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Fear and loathing or just indicative of the general nature of contemporary society........ and the internet.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
I can't seem to understand why there's such an overall negative response to people on this forum who consider modifying the lacquer/plating on their horns. People always question their musical ability or their intelligence or who knows what else. [rolleyes]

It's like when someone learns "Giant Steps" or "Countdown" someone tells them, " now play it in all 12 keys". They always get a nasty remark in return. Why?
Welcome to SOTW. Join for the fun, stay for the drama!:bluewink:

My advice learn to use the "ignore" post button and take everything negative with a grain of salt.

It seems that around 300 posts everybody has to acclimate to the cynicism and negativity on this site.

B

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I haven't seen that, can you provide links to those threads?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts

To answer question 1. Usually the OP thinks that such 'modifications' will by some miracle make them sound like their favourite 'artist'. Having a horn relacquered or plated just because you want to make it look nicer isn't an issue.
'It's not the 'act' of the modification, but the 'reasoning' behind it that will cause a seasoned player to question the musical ability, intelligence, or who knows what else.

To answer question 2. "Now play it in all 12 keys" is NOT a nasty remark. It's a challenge! Anyone can play these tunes in 1 key. Being able to play them in all 12, well that's an accomplishment to be even more proud of. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Fear and loathing or just indicative of the general nature of contemporary society........ and the internet.
Amen to that!
Oh, fer' chrissake......

While I do agree with the second rant....the first one (if the phenomena exists, and as Pete says, please show us where...) is simply based upon a few pretty rock-solid notions:

1) Far more often than not, refinishing a horn is gonna devalue it.

2) As Bandmommy says, people are under the mistaken notion that it will alter the sound to a noticeable degree....which is also not the case.

3) In certain situations, folks with more experience on the subject are just trying to provide a caveat: pimping out your horn may seem a hella cool idea at the time...but 10 years down the road, it won't have seemed like such a great idea.

With that said, I do understand the spirit of your Post.

The problem with Forums in general is...it's all talk (or writing). That's the only avenue available here....yet musicians are probably better off expressing themselves with their instruments or in person, than online.
At its best it can connect folks with similar interests and help provide very useful info. At its worst, it is the human condition to want to reply to something even if one has nothing to say or offer....and nothing makes that easier than the internet.

I would mention some serious Kudos to the Moderators here, more than on many other Forums, for keeping the personal attacks under control and minimal....

I guess I would invite you to look around more for the former sort of threads, because that is why I hang around here, myself....as for the latter, just go with it...or let it go....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
To answer question 2. "Now play it in all 12 keys" is NOT a nasty remark. It's a challenge! Anyone can play these tunes in 1 key. Being able to play them in all 12, well that's an accomplishment to be even more proud of. :)
It's to see how much of a machine you've trained your mind's ear into - how efficient a player you are. It's raising the bar a lot higher than playing Honeysuckle Rose or I Got Rhythm in 12 keys, because those tunes are familiar and intuitively harmonized. You can coast along more or less on the right side of your brain. Giant Steps shows your left brain is clicking along on the abstract, mathematical operations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts