Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I do find the Jumbo Javas able to be mellow... Many great balladiers and mellow songs have been played with metal Bergs, open tip openings and 1 or 0 about their brightness characteristics... (they go form 0 being very bright to 4 the lesser).

It is possible to play subtones with the Jumbo Javas. I do it frequently when I play ballads. They sound great and with a lot of volume, even with a number 3 reed and down to Bb1. I truly believe it really depends on the player by all means, and the setup has its influence, pretty much if we want, but the Jumbo Javas can be smokey, yes. And of course, they can be loud.

Something we might be missing is the reed. Reeds have to do, too.

All the best,

JI
+1.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,293 Posts
Keep it and record a CD! I will buy it. Twice!

This is my attemt to find both the thin, egdy Warren Hill sound and a touch of that blue smokey mellow Charles McNeal is sound. (Testing a mcp I refaced and couple hours ago, - for sale.)
Funny thing; the silver plated clarinet optimum Ligature fits the blue A35, it looks much nicer on my cannonball that the goldplated one :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
McNeal is a fine player but that clip sounds like a typical java to me, to much edge and to much highs in it's sound. Nothing smokey and mellow about it.
Randy this is a JUMBO Java not a Java

·
1,277 Posts
Keep it and record a CD! I will buy it. Twice!
lol - do not think that CD will sell because I cheated: This is a blue "Java" not a blue "Jumbo Java" :bluewink:

- hmmm, think I need to practice more on hitting the right notes ....

Well, my point is that java is a better choice for most of us, but curiously most will have a jumbo java.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
McNeal is a fine player but that clip sounds like a typical java to me, to much edge and to much highs in it's sound. Nothing smokey and mellow about it.
This is spot on! By playing subtone style, which is what McNeal is doing,even a bright mpc like the Java can be coaxed into a rounded sound, but it is not really mellow, dark or smokey IMHO.

1) If McNeal were to play straight on, without all the subtoning, I bet we would hear something bright and cutting.

2) If he had used a low baffle type mouthpiece that is closer to his sound concept, I'm sure we would hear how much more 'smokey and mellow' he could sound like.

It's like me subtoning on my Runyon Quantum mpc. I can get it kind of smokey and mellow but even I'm not really convinced. Then I put on my Link STM and wow, the real Dexter starts to emerge from the horn.

·
2,293 Posts
I will buy it. Record it.

lol - do not think that CD will sell because I cheated: This is a blue "Java" not a blue "Jumbo Java" :bluewink:

- hmmm, think I need to practice more on hitting the right notes ....

Well, my point is that java is a better choice for most of us, but curiously most will have a jumbo java.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
I thought he sounded like what you would expect from an A45 Jumbo with sharp highs but of course his technique is incredible anyway. In my search for a HR alto piece I thought the A75 Jumbo played more mellow than the 45.

B

·
2,293 Posts
In my experience, the A75 and wider tip opening mouthpieces may be more mellow because of the softer reeds. When I (my experience, this is), have played with this openings, the reeds I have used have been Javas No. 2 which resulted in being very, very mellow after awhile.

I thought he sounded like what you would expect from an A45 Jumbo with sharp highs but of course his technique is incredible anyway. In my search for a HR alto piece I thought the A75 Jumbo played more mellow than the 45.

B

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is spot on! By playing subtone style, which is what McNeal is doing,even a bright mpc like the Java can be coaxed into a rounded sound, but it is not really mellow, dark or smokey IMHO.

1) If McNeal were to play straight on, without all the subtoning, I bet we would hear something bright and cutting.

2) If he had used a low baffle type mouthpiece that is closer to his sound concept, I'm sure we would hear how much more 'smokey and mellow' he could sound like.

It's like me subtoning on my Runyon Quantum mpc. I can get it kind of smokey and mellow but even I'm not really convinced. Then I put on my Link STM and wow, the real Dexter starts to emerge from the horn.
Yeah, on his other videos on tenor he has a very mellow sound. The jumbo java isn't making him mellow, he's making it mellow. He just has mellow tone in general. Some people, like me, will sound bright on anything, he's not one of those.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
3,287 Posts
Sounds to me like Charles McNeal is playing in a subdued sort of way with a tone that's veering towards the brightish side and so the brightness is somewhat subdued.

If he was playing some full on R&B or Bop stuff with a band then I would suspect that it would sound a lot brighter.

If he was using another mouthpiece with no baffle etc then he could play in a less subdued way and still be mellow rather than having to play in a more subdued way for it to come across as sort of mellow sounding IMO

21 - 35 of 35 Posts