Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Man Charles sound so sweet on that piece!, I was expecting a screamer but that piece, is nice and warm, bright but warm. reminds me of a toned down Stitt, or Art pepper.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Series II with Jumbo Java A45 is my setup. It can get very mellow if you want.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm actually looking into buying the Jumbo Java A45, and I think this video settled it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I'm actually looking into buying the Jumbo Java A45, and I think this video settled it.
Now you just have to become Charles McNeal ...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is worthy of another post:

Press play on the video in post #6, wait until the guy starts playing, then press play on the video in post #1. You get to hear Charles McNeal improvising over Hey Jude -- a pleasant surprise!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Man Charles sound so sweet on that piece!, I was expecting a screamer but that piece, is nice and warm, bright but warm. reminds me of a toned down Stitt, or Art pepper.
A good player can get his sound on any mouthpiece.

Some just make it easier.

·
1,596 Posts
A good player can get his sound on any mouthpiece.

Some just make it easier.
Yup it's the archer not the arrow, but still I mean I never expect that to come from a High Baffled screamer type piece. If I listened to this blind I wouldn't ever guess it was a Vandoren Jumbo Java.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Alto jumbo java rule for me.Had a A95,A75,sold them to get a Wanne Durga.Mistake big time,went back to the A75 jumbo java.Never found any better for alto.

·
Registered
142 Posts
well I have a Optimum AL4 and I can't get the screamer sound just yet. Got it close to some of the metal like my Metal Yani #7, but not the sceaming Jumbo Java

·
2,309 Posts
McNeal is a fine player but that clip sounds like a typical java to me, to much edge and to much highs in it's sound. Nothing smokey and mellow about it.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Just the right touch of edge and i find it smokey and mellow,sounds great.

·
2,319 Posts
McNeal is a fine player but that clip sounds like a typical java to me, to much edge and to much highs in it's sound. Nothing smokey and mellow about it.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His sound is a bit bright, but it's definitely not the traditional Jumbo Java sound. The sound of the man playing in post #6 is more like the traditional jumbo java sound.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
His sound is a bit bright, but it's definitely not the traditional Jumbo Java sound. The sound of the man playing in post #6 is more like the traditional jumbo java sound.
Hmmm. I wonder if they didn't know it was a Jumbo Java that they could have guessed that it was?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I do find the Jumbo Javas able to be mellow... Many great balladiers and mellow songs have been played with metal Bergs, open tip openings and 1 or 0 about their brightness characteristics... (they go form 0 being very bright to 4 the lesser).

It is possible to play subtones with the Jumbo Javas. I do it frequently when I play ballads. They sound great and with a lot of volume, even with a number 3 reed and down to Bb1. I truly believe it really depends on the player by all means, and the setup has its influence, pretty much if we want, but the Jumbo Javas can be smokey, yes. And of course, they can be loud.

Something we might be missing is the reed. Reeds have to do, too.

All the best,

JI

·
1,243 Posts
This is my attemt to find both the thin, egdy Warren Hill sound and a touch of that blue smokey mellow Charles McNeal is sound. (Testing a mcp I refaced and couple hours ago, - for sale.)
Funny thing; the silver plated clarinet optimum Ligature fits the blue A35, it looks much nicer on my cannonball that the goldplated one :bluewink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts