Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had the thought that perhaps the MK VII was Selmer's attempt to build a horn with a King Super 20 type sound.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
No.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Well I was one who bought a V11 when they first ever came out. I traded my Mark V1 for one. I didn't even try it just ordered it. Some players I knew were holding off buying a V1 for the V11. I had it about a month and got a 62 Yamaha then back to a V1...it was an expensive trip. I would have got my old horn back but the shop had it relac'd immediately.

Having said all that I've heard some very good playing on V11's. My favourite Mel Collins played a V11 alto..some guys put V1 necks on them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I think the conversation in the boardroom might have gone something like this:

"Alors mon fellow techs, le Mark Six is a tres bon 'orn - but we 'ave to make something nouveau. Any idées?"
"Oui Monsieur, 'ows about we make le saxophone wot sounds like une King Super Vingt!"
"Errr...pourquoi??"
"Weelll... eet is le bon 'orn too, and they don't make them anymore"
"Vous 'ave le point, but je 'appen to pense that le Mark Six was une better 'orn, nes pas?"
"Je agree, but no-one is going to like une Selmer Mark Sept unless it sounds like une Mark Six"
"Vrai..vrai..but for nous to make une King would be like Vauxhall making Renault voitures. C'est incroyable!!"
"Pah, vous are behind le times!"
"Oh oui? And vous are le one suggesting we make le horn that was built in le 1950's. Vous êtes un imbécile!"
"Well what's your idée then, grandemouth!?"
"Écouter, no-one is going to like le nouveau Selmer whatever we do, so let's make it une stinker"
"But that's la folie grande!!"
"Oui, je suis d'accord - but eet will be tres funny, non?"
"Oooohhh magnifique! Je like a laugh!"
"Bon! Le beers are sur moi! Last one à la pub is une numpty!"

Regards,

·
Banned
585 Posts
Too much Stephen....belly laughs mate! Please continue...a la boozer.." deux bierres an a bag of scratchings du porc......a

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The VII had much better intonation than any Super 20 I've ever played. I also find that Super 20 Tenors have much less depth of sound when compared to a 10m or a Selmer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Stephen my friend, you need to go into television writing when they re-make " hallo-hallo! " your talent is underused writing technical books!
Having said that.
i have owned both and no the VII is not a S20 imitation , I like the S20 much more and although they are both ballsy they are different.
Besides, the people at Selmer only consider Selmers saxophones the rest.........is something else for them (they are wrong!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I shelved my VII tenor when I picked up a 10M for my main axe, but sold the VII when I picked up a Silversonic tenor. I only needed two tenors and the VII tenor was dead in comparison to the Silversonic, let alone the 10M.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Can you do the same sketch in cod Japanese circa when Yamaha went from the 61 to 62

I think the conversation in the boardroom might have gone something like this:

"Alors mon fellow techs, le Mark Six is a tres bon 'orn - but we 'ave to make something nouveau. Any idées?"
"Oui Monsieur, 'ows about we make le saxophone wot sounds like une King Super Vingt!"
"Errr...pourquoi??"
"Weelll... eet is le bon 'orn too, and they don't make them anymore"
"Vous 'ave le point, but je 'appen to pense that le Mark Six was une better 'orn, nes pas?"
"Je agree, but no-one is going to like une Selmer Mark Sept unless it sounds like une Mark Six"
"Vrai..vrai..but for nous to make une King would be like Vauxhall making Renault voitures. C'est incroyable!!"
"Pah, vous are behind le times!"
"Oh oui? And vous are le one suggesting we make le horn that was built in le 1950's. Vous êtes un imbécile!"
"Well what's your idée then, grandemouth!?"
"Écouter, no-one is going to like le nouveau Selmer whatever we do, so let's make it une stinker"
"But that's la folie grande!!"
"Oui, je suis d'accord - but eet will be tres funny, non?"
"Oooohhh magnifique! Je like a laugh!"
"Bon! Le beers are sur moi! Last one à la pub is une numpty!"

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Can you do the same sketch in cod Japanese circa when Yamaha went from the 61 to 62
I don't think so...for a couple of reasons.
French is wonderful language for parody...or what's known over here as 'Franglais'...as is Italian and German to some extent.
The trouble with Japanese is that it often ends up sounding like Benny Hill (bless him), with the emphasis on pronunciation rather than the use of native words. How many people know a smattering of Japanese compared to those who know a little French?
It's quite clear my French is awful, but my Japanese is much, much worse!

For me it crosses that line between affectionate ribbing and something rather more gauche. It's a tricky one.

Also, I think at this present time it would be a bit inappropriate - I'm sure you'll understand.

Interesting question though, I had to sit and think about it...so cheers!

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I played a VII for a long time. I have a super 20 for a few months. I would say the only thing they might have in common is the lower register. The middle register on the VII had a kind of typical core to the sound, the high was like that too - very unlike my S 20 that has a beautiful open sound on those places.

Reine

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,996 Posts
The VII had much better intonation than any Super 20 I've ever played. I also find that Super 20 Tenors have much less depth of sound when compared to a 10m or a Selmer.
You'd probably be in the minority, then.

The VII is an incredible disappointment in tone...it really is. They are OK, but they certainly don't deserve to be placed in the same echelon as the S20...which IMHO exceeds a VI, sonically speaking.

There are two likely explanations for the VII...it was either just an idea which sorta failed its expectations...or it was an attempt to produce a horn with the 'contemporary' sound paradigm (as opposed to a 'vintage' tone) of what was beginning to appear from Japan....in which instance, it may also arguably have failed.....

Or, as many others have suggested elsewhere, it could just have been an attempt to produce a cheaper, more "accessible" horn for more players, accompanied by a lotta marketing bluster which selmer darn well knew was...um....a lotta marketing bluster.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Mk. VII- Weak. Super 20- Monster. I've never played a Selmer of any stripe that came close. The 7 was the worst of the lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts

The VII is an incredible disappointment in tone...it really is.

The opposite is true for me, having played mine for 30+ years.
The tone of my well set up VII tenor is the best thing about it and is very satisfying.

How long have you played your VII tenor, Jaye?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, MKVII a terrible horn!!
Only worth about £50 but I'll buy it at that if you have one.

Now seriously,
as there is no smoke with out fire, I guess they can't all be good....... but the same is said of various vintage KS20 and MKVI's no?
And I don't think you can possibly claim they are all poor especially as tone is such a personal thing.
It didn't live up to the MKVI and the tale grows taller on down the line.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts