Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well honestly, this is directed right back at me. I admit.

But that damn Mark VI...

I sold off a good bit of gear because I had that Mark VI in my sights.

That damn Mark VI...

Sold off some pieces of gear that I wasn't using at the time, but eventually could have an impact on my business.

That damn Mark VI...

Got the Mark VI and it was a great horn, but not what I expected. And I knew a horn I was comfortable with, but I have a Mark VI in my hands.

That damn Mark VI...

Sold off the Mark VI for a profit, as I'd expect and hoped.

That damn Mark VI...

Then the gear manufacturer of the 2 pieces of gear upped their prices by $2000 and $4000 per piece.

That damn Mark VI...

I still have my main tenor (not a Mark VI) and understand that my horn is not a Mark VI but everything I could ever hope for as it's been with me the whole way. A VERY painful $6000 lesson.

That damn Mark VI...

Thank god for cut and paste.

That damn Mark VI...

My lesson to all. Work with what you have and don't worry about that damn Mark VI...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts

But that damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

Sold off some pieces of gear that I wasn't using at the time, but eventually could have an impact on my business.

That damn Mark VI...

Got the Mark VI and it was a great horn, but not what I expected. And I knew a horn I was comfortable with, but I have a Mark VI in my hands.

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

Then the gear manufacturer of the 2 pieces of gear upped their prices by $2000 and $4000 per piece.

That damn Mark VI...

I still have my main tenor (not a Mark VI) and understand that my horn is not a Mark VI but everything I could ever hope for as it's been with me the whole way. A VERY painful $6000 lesson.

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

My lesson to all. Work with what you have and don't worry about that damn Mark VI...

Very Very Well Put......
I think this is a story that has been told many times before.I am fortunate enough to have a stable of nice horns and I enjoy them all(no MkVI's).I prefer a couple of them over the others but really like them all...

well put Mr Turnaround....thanks for sharing that with us

·
2,294 Posts
Which damn MKVI was it? Must have been one of those pesky, over rated, often not very good 5 digit ones. You obviously didn't find the right one - have to try again!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a mk VI to sell on, being very happy with the horn I was playing. Tried the mk VI and haven't played my other horn since.

Damn mk VIs

·
Registered
866 Posts

But that damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

That damn Mark VI...

Great poem. At least Mark VI give you a new idea to write that good article.:bluewink:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks for that! I've been tempted from time to time to get a "VI" because it's a "VI" and "everyone" plays a VI, despite having nice sounding tenor setups already. If I do get one, it will only be a VI that I had a chance to play first-hand, that showed itself to be an improvement.

·
2,309 Posts
I bought a mk VI to sell on, being very happy with the horn I was playing. Tried the mk VI and haven't played my other horn since.

Damn mk VIs
It works the other way too. I sold my King S20 after a brief flirt. Unless you are a full on tenor player as opposed to collecter you don't need more than one. My 117 K V1 has been great for over 20 years and will see me out.
Those two statements represent what happens 95% of the time.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..i bought a silversonic first because i think they are cool!! (and own approx. 8 silversonic brass instruments)...
then i was looking for a low price vintage mark 6 "type horn"... got a Kohlert Regent, then a Buffet Crampon SDA....
now I was ready for a real Selmer!!! started with a Radio Improved....and then alas got that 123xxx mark 6!!
Juan you said it right!! these are the ones.... I had a deal with a local selmer fanatic that i would bring 2 Mark 6s back from the states(to germany) put them on the table with his collection...which included a 68xxx a 78xxx a 103xxx and 2 balanced actions....and my favorite horn I would get to keep I only ended up bringing back one horn the 123xxx hand picked from 20 or so horns in NY,of course price played a role..but none the less it was my pick...... compared to the above listed horns,I new that some of the others had a greater value(that stupid serial number game) but I just had to have the best horn,and I picked the 123xxx....
My playing immediately improved...i realized i just wasnt good enough to play the silversonic...... but the selmer responded very well...and is very mouthpiece friendly as well.....

well..... Ive now found my horn....the New King.... not only is it the coolest looking horn ,but I love the way it plays for me

Now the Mark 6 and Radio Improved are for sale!!!!!!
after the improvements...roo pads....taxes paid....etc. etc. i will end up losing money.....
am I crying about it??? heck no!!!!
many people dont have the luxury of the rest of us to even get a Mark 6 into their hands....ive played at least 100,and owning one increased my ability quickly and joyfully....you cant buy that in a school folks!!!! the money ive spent IS my education

same goes for mouthpieces....we can talk about them all day long(and do!!) but to each their own there arent many stores where you can walk in and say...id like to try a 1940,1950 1960 and 1970 stm link a HR brilhart a dukoff BD a hollywood 5 different berg larsens etc. etc.
i fell into the chance to buy a full box just like that.... it cost 5,500 bucks best buy i ever made....i was a relative beginner at the time,and immediately I was able to try FIRST HAND,what works for me and then I knew....(ive since sold all but 1)
so what im saying is its all talk unless you know first hand.... and you might not like a certain horn because you just happened to try a bad one...or you had the wrong mouthpiece,or lig...or reed...........

its all part of the process...... thank goodness for Selmer!!! but I'm done!!!!!

I'll tell you this however....if i ever walk into a sax shop and want to test a mouthpiece I'll say....."give me a Mark Six somewhere near 120xxx"

·
Registered
472 Posts
I love a well written post! :salute::headbang::notworth:

And I love my damn Mk VI alto that replaced another damn Mk VI. But I also love the Yammy tenor that replaced a damn Mk VI. Ain't this saxophone stuff great!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
If you got a MKVI because of the name, it's not surprising you'd be disappointed!
There's the real 'moral of the story.' I really love my damn MKVI (121,xxx), but it's taken me over 20 years to even begin to play it anywhere near its full potential. Hate to say it, turnaround, but you turned that horn around and sold it on way too soon!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I own a Selmer Paris alto (not a Mark VI) and first notice was the quality of the case it arrived in. Damn Mark VI!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I needed a new (to me) alto to have since I was going to be teaching band that next year. I was informed by the administration that one of the parents had a saxophone that they wanted to get rid of for $500. I checked it out and it was a (you guessed it) Mark VI! Feeling just a tad bit guilty, I mentioned that little fact to him but he said, "You'll appreciate it." Wonderful instrument!
Fast forward ahead three years. I am now married with a child on the way and no longer teaching (no plans to go back.) I could wimp out and say I let my wife "bully" me into selling it but the truth was we needed the money and I went along. I sold it for $2000. At the time, it seemed the right decision.
Fast forward to 2011. My second child is showing real promise on the saxophone! He's already two years ahead of his classmates (ummm...private lessons with dad probably have a lot to do with that but not all!) His saxophone is just a Jupiter student line model but sooner or later it will be time to find a top line sax IF he continues to progress the way he's going! Now, I'm kicking myself that I ever sold that damn (beautiful) Mark VI!!! (*Sigh) Oh well, maybe he'll prefer to play the old man's Model 164 tenor... Damn damn damn!! I want my Mark VI back!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts