Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of pain suffering and tremendous pleasure I’ve come to the conclusion that I definitely have an eating disorder. I’ve done my research and the future is very bleak. Very few people recover from this dreaded disease but Im not going down without a fight. Tomorrow I’m going to my first meeting of Italian Over Eaters Annonymous. But before that I’m getting prepared by stocking up on Weight Watchers TV dinners and Nutra System shakes. And maybe a little prosciutto and ricotta and some ravioli. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Phil Barone

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It is a serious issues. Glad you are fighting back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A change of national diet might help - how about some Scottish specialities such as Haggis served with boiled cabbage and turnips, followed by a deep-fried Mars Bar (oh OK, a Hershey would do) in a peanut butter sauce?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,047 Posts
FWIW, I’ve been eating a lot fewer carbs since I developed a gluten sensitivity.

Not recommended if you don’t already have it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,024 Posts
….... And maybe a little prosciutto and ricotta and some ravioli. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Phil Barone
Suggestions for a "last" meal or a lose-weight regimen?

Anyhow, cutting back on the carbohydrates is always good. :)

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,028 Posts
Smoke Parodi cigars. Works for me. Best meal replacement going. (Of course, I have exchanged an eating disorder for a smoking disorder, but I've been smoking those bad boys for over 50 years, and I'm still alive and the same weight I was back when I started.)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smoke Parodi cigars. Works for me. Best meal replacement going. (Of course, I have exchanged an eating disorder for a smoking disorder, but I've been smoking those bad boys for over 50 years, and I'm still alive and the same weight I was back when I started.)
The last couple of weeks I’ve noticed I’ve been kind of hot and the heats been off. Then yesterday I had trouble getting my pants off because they’re too tight. I’ve been hot because my clothes have been getting tighter. I’ve been eating out with my girls a lot lately and eating a lot of pasta. Maybe I should take that up.

·
Banned
652 Posts
After a lot of pain suffering and tremendous pleasure I’ve come to the conclusion that I definitely have an eating disorder. I’ve done my research and the future is very bleak. Very few people recover from this dreaded disease but Im not going down without a fight. Tomorrow I’m going to my first meeting of Italian Over Eaters Annonymous. But before that I’m getting prepared by stocking up on Weight Watchers TV dinners and Nutra System shakes. And maybe a little prosciutto and ricotta and some ravioli. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Phil Barone
That's very interesting Phil. You know I have suddenly developed dandruff for the first time in my life. It started right after moving into a new apartment. I've read up on this and apparently dandruff is not considered a communicable disease, so I cannot figure out for the life of me why I would develop it for the first time at 44 years old, with really almost no hair on my head! I really hate it too, these crusty flakes I keep picking at on my scalp that keep coming back no matter how much I wash it. I was thinking of baptizing my scalp in boiling water just for a minute, or maybe acetone, to try and kill whatever is eating my scalp. But my friends, if I had any, would probably say that's a bad idea. Anyhoo....

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's very interesting Phil. You know I have suddenly developed dandruff for the first time in my life. It started right after moving into a new apartment. I've read up on this and apparently dandruff is not considered a communicable disease, so I cannot figure out for the life of me why I would develop it for the first time at 44 years old, with really almost no hair on my head! I really hate it too, these crusty flakes I keep picking at on my scalp that keep coming back no matter how much I wash it. I was thinking of baptizing my scalp in boiling water just for a minute, or maybe acetone, to try and kill whatever is eating my scalp. But my friends, if I had any, would probably say that's a bad idea. Anyhoo....
I have a belt sander you’re welcome to.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,155 Posts
I can't tell if you are serious or if what you posted is tongue in cheek. If you're serious I suggest you read a book by Gary Taubes: "Why We Get Fat". He researched the scientific research going back 150 years. He discovered that if you want to lose weight cut out the carbs. It's not about "calories in vs. calories out." As much as that makes intuitive sense it's not the case. It's about the body's response to carbohydrates by way of insulin. If we eat a high protein/moderate fat diet and keep the carbs to a minimum we keep the insulin response to a minimum. Consider reading that book then looking into something like the Atkins diet to get you started. My wife and I lost 70 lb. between us, me 30 and her 40, using the Medifast system. It's a "lean and green" diet. You eat lean meats and a lot of greens, with just a small amount of carbs. Once your body adjusts the hunger goes away and you can lose 2-3 pounds per week. It's slow but it's possible to get used to it and stay on it. I lost the weight nearly 3 years ago and I'm still within 5 lbs. of my goal weight of 170. My wife, who is tiny, lost 40 lbs. and is still within a few lbs. of what she weighed when she was in high school. I'm not saying we look like we did in high school, fifty years later, but we weigh about the same and I can say for sure that my blood glucose (A1C) went from borderline diabetic to a healthy 5.5. I was able to quit the blood pressure meds and I cut my cholesterol meds in half. Not bad for 65 years old.

Medifast link: I will say that the program changed radically after we finished and you might want to look into other similar programs.
http://www.medifast1.com/landing-pages/go-offer-2017.jsp?mxuid=GO-CD-122116-LP-GB31?utm_source=bsem&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Desktop%20-%20Exact%20-%20BSEM%20-%202017&utm_content=Diet&utm_term=medifast%20diet&ctcampaign=4997&ctkwd=medifast%20diet&ctmatch=e&ctcreative=76416143217550&ctadpos={adposition}&ctlocid=89701&cttrgtid=kwd-76416085574699:loc-190&ctfeedid=&ctnwk=o&ctdevice=c

·
Registered
549 Posts
You could move to Italy. Nobody will think you are sick here. I also notice that Italian food in Italy is less heavy on meat and has more vegetables than Italian food in the US (at least on the east coast where i usually am). Also, most people I know here make lunch their biggest meal, and have a lighter dinner. I think that eating a big meal just before you go to sleep is not considered very healthy; whether it causes weight gain I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
PB I obviously don't know what's up in your digestive world but... I have a lot of joint inflammation which nothing was helping a few years ago. Eventually I went on a diet called autoimmune for paleo which is super strict, you would totally hate it I'm sure... It's super restrictive and is like a science experiment to figure out if you have any food allergies. Which can be a factor not only in inflammation but all kinds of other stuff.

Anyway, long story short, I did that for about 6 months and it was helpful, but more importantly, because it's such an extremely nutritional diet, I lost weight, felt healthier, and developed different preferences for food. I don't pay much attention to it any more, but my eating is much different than it used to be. Healthier. A lot of kale - maybe an acquired taste for some but it's high protein, high vitamins, high all kinds of stuff. FWIW. Also, real bone broth (bones cooked 2 or 3 days). Throw whatever you want in it - leftover whatever - instant delicious soup. You can make it or check for butchers that make it.

Worth forcing yourself somehow into a healthy diet. You don't need to be hungry by any means. You just have to eliminate foods that aren't specifically providing the nutrition you actually need. Starch/carbs is a big one. They have a big impact on your blood sugar and you crash and then you need food and it's a cycle.

Anyway, that's close to 100% of everything I know about food:) Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts