Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Charles Gray for working on my Conn DJH Mod. bari sax

I've had this wonderful horn for a long time, and after many years of frustration with stuffy low notes and many attempts to get it playing well, I finally decided to bring it to THIS GUY... Yeah the one who restored that disaster of a bass saxophone... Charles did 2 major things. He soldered the body to the bow, and he manufactured a new neck receiver. The original one was distorted, and the neck never fit snugly into it. He got it RIGHT. This thing is now really playing WAYYYY better from low D on down to low A. I can use a harder reed and feel totally secure playing out with this horn now. We A/Bd with his SA80ll Bari. Mine is brighter and more aggressive, and his his definitely darker, more spread and more velvety sounding. Thanks Charles!! IMG_2563.jpg IMG_2564.jpg IMG_2565.jpg He also did a bunch of typical adjustments to the sax. Heres a look at what he did...

Attachments

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,220 Posts
Thanks Lawrence!! Was deff an interesting sax - one that I have never seen before. And Joe shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Once the world knows about my cork grease my life as we know it will be over!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,701 Posts
Didn't know Graysax was Charles, pretty decent of you posting positive comments.

Steve

·
4,544 Posts
I have similarly had to make neck receivers for 4 or 5 Keilwerth stencil baritones in the past 5 years. The original design was ridiculously flimsy on all of them, King Tempos, Couf Superbas, Conn DJHs...all of them!

·
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow no kidding!! Its an epidemic! Feels good knowing that I am not alone.

I have similarly had to make neck receivers for 4 or 5 Keilwerth stencil baritones in the past 5 years. The original design was ridiculously flimsy on all of them, King Tempos, Couf Superbas, Conn DJHs...all of them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts